Dive destination for April from West Coast US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a brief and rare window for a dive trip in mid-April. My default would be Cozumel, which is always great, but wondering if there's somewhere else that would fit my requirements for a change.

Requirements:
  • Reachable from San Francisco in 1 day of travel (which unfortunately rules out much of the Caribbean given flight schedules)
  • Reasonably reliable good conditions in April (which I think rules out Sea of Cortez?)
  • Warm water
  • Not TOO expensive (for example - Cozumel is easily within my budget, Hawaii is out of my budget given extremely high costs of lodging+diving)
Is there somewhere cool that will fit the bill, or should I just stick with ol' reliable, inexpensive Cozumel?

overnight flight to fiji? if you get a flight that leaves late at night and lands early in the morning, you can be diving after lunch at volivoli (albeit technically 2 days later due to that pesky date line, but you get it back flying home)

belize also isn't too bad to reach with a connection through houston or dfw

Reachable from San Francisco in 1 day of travel (which unfortunately rules out much of the Caribbean given flight schedules)
Bahamas and Belize

Colombia. Specifically Isla Providencia.
Nicaragua, Big Corn or Little Corn Islands
Roatan
Catalina
How about some of those cool river dives where guys find all that stuff on youtube?

+1 for Fiji. You can fly SFO to NAD nonstop on Fiji Airways in 10 1/2 hours. Flights for April are cheapest on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday right now, the lowest being $738 round trip. It takes 2 calendar days to get there, but on the return, you will arrive home before you left Fiji. Always blows my mind!

As a Northwest resident, it's cheaper and takes less time to get to Fiji from the West Coast than going to the Caribbean.

Back
Top Bottom