Dive doctors north east England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblewell

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all

I tried this in the newbie forum and it was suggested I try here also, so here goes...

I just joined a few days ago and was hoping someone might be able to recommend me a private doctor who will complete the PADI questionnaire/medical exam whatever it is.

I live in the UK, Tyne and Wear region (Newcastle/Sunderland) so looking for a doctor around that way. The only one the instructor knows is a Dr Crummie who only works private on Fridays and has no slots or over a month.

Unfortunately, my local GP practice doesn't do them as it lacks a piece of equipment apparently needed. And there was me thinking it would be a simple process as the only problem was having high blood pressure 12 years ago :)

Hi
I dont know of any but i wish you luck in the search. I am not sure if many UK people use this site, but you never know.

try calling these guys Decompression chamber / Hyperbaric chamber for divers with the bends / decompression illness, London Recompression & Hyperbaric facilities - The London Diving Chamber they are London based, but know people throughout the country, also try googling DDRC or UKSDMC, i'm having a problem getting them on my computer at the moment. alternativley you could try:-

Welcome to the home of UK Scuba Diving - to dive and train with friends - join us!

this is is a list prepared for BSAC, if it won't open then google BSAC & type 'Medical Referee' into their search engine.

hope that helps

Thanks both.

Three doctors on the HSE list don't do them anymore. I found a doctor in Teesside this morning but rang the surgery only to discover he resigned two weeks ago and they had no forwarding details as he was emigrating lol.

I've booked for September 16 now but will try tomorrow on the links above to see if I can get something sooner. If not it's disappointing but not the end of the world and I will have that PADI manual memorised!

Thanks both.

Three doctors on the HSE list don't do them anymore. I found a doctor in Teesside this morning but rang the surgery only to discover he resigned two weeks ago and they had no forwarding details as he was emigrating lol.

I've booked for September 16 now but will try tomorrow on the links above to see if I can get something sooner. If not it's disappointing but not the end of the world and I will have that PADI manual memorised!

Why do you need a doctor's signature? HSE dive medicals are only for those diving for work.

For recreational diving in the UK a self-certification if usually all that's needed.

Regards

Because my doctor won't sign the form for SCUBA and after ringing around 20 doctors surgeries in the last couple of days, nor it seems will the majority of doctors in the area.

Some of those on the HSE site also used to do SCUBA certification.

Tyneside BSAC 114

make life easy for yourself contact these guys. self certification medicals (unless you know you have a problem) probably cheaper training, buddies to dive with probably holidays arrenged for you, it really is much much easier.

The problem with the BSAC is it is the same route, i.e:

1 - Fill in self declaration form which asks if I have ever had high blood pressure (yes 12 years ago...)
2 - Can't dive, BSAC and PADI both require questionaire signing off by doctor
3 - Majority of doctors won't do it
4 - Pay expensive private doctor £80 and wait 5 weeks for appointment

It's a shame they didn't come up on Google before I paid for a PADI course elsewhere, but still I wouldn't be able to start training for some time yet.

The problem with the BSAC is it is the same route, i.e:

1 - Fill in self declaration form which asks if I have ever had high blood pressure (yes 12 years ago...)
2 - Can't dive, BSAC and PADI both require questionaire signing off by doctor
3 - Majority of doctors won't do it
4 - Pay expensive private doctor £80 and wait 5 weeks for appointment

It's a shame they didn't come up on Google before I paid for a PADI course elsewhere, but still I wouldn't be able to start training for some time yet.

Hi,

Did you look at the list of Medical Referees which is dated April 2011. I know people who only had to speak to the referee on the phone to get signed-off because their issue was so long ago.

The problem with going to a GP or a non-diving doctor is they don't understand what is acceptable and will usuallly play safe and say no diving.

Didn't the people you contacted to learn to dive make it clear about the medical requirements, if not they should give you a full refund. Why not contact your local Trading Standards. As these people will rip others off.

When you join a BSAC club we make it clear you should get the medical sorted out first.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom