Dive dry with dr. Bill #403: Air octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #403: AIR OCTO!

The basketball fans who read my column are undoubtedly familiar with the phrase "Air Jordan." Being Chicago born and raised, I was a big fan of the Bulls in Michael Jordan's day... but transferred my allegiance to the Lakers in large part due to Herbie Sadd's enthusiasm for the team and Kobe, and my respect for Phil Jackson. Some of you may also be familiar with the phrase "Air Jaws" if you watch the rather sensationalized "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel. As one who has dived with sharks around the world, including great whites, I've boycotted it since it began. Of course I no longer have TV anyway so that's easy to do. This week, I'm going to tell you the tale of a little known phenomenon I call "Air Octo."

During summer, when the dive park is filled with classes, I prefer to do my diving at night mid-week to avoid the crowds. Of course I love going down there to socialize with the divers, but resuspended silt, reduced visibility and crowded stairs are not my cup of Celestial Seasonings. A while back I went down to the park about 8:00 pm and ran into "Diver Dave" Lieberman and a client of his preparing for a night dive. We chatted a bit and Dave asked a prophetic question "Where is your pony bottle?" As a solo diver for six decades, I normally carry a small SCUBA tank (pony) as a backup, but had just repaired the mounting strap for mine and hadn't reattached it to my main tank. I rarely go deeper than 50 ft on my night dives and know from experience that I can do a controlled ascent from much deeper should an emergency arise.

I descended ahead of Dave and despite surgy conditions, I found several subjects to film right away. Looked like this would be a great dive and I would bring back fascinating footage to share with my readers and the viewers of my cable TV shows and DVDs as they "dive dry with Dr. Bill" in their easy chairs. The unseasonably cool water temperatures have meant higher than normal nutrients, allowing our native giant kelp to remain healthy and very dense instead of dying off due to nutrient starvation in summer. This has made it harder to find critters to film this summer.

About 12 minutes into the dive, I spotted an octopus climbing up a giant kelp plant like Jack on the bean stalk. It was being pestered by several kelp bass that were obviously hoping for a little octo (tako in Japanese) sushi or sashimi for dinner. I started filming the octo as it climbed but the surge was moving the kelp around and wrapping it up, making it difficult to keep the octo in my viewfinder. Several kelp bass lunged toward it, trying to munch on one of its arms (the correct term for what some call "tentacles").

Suddenly it shot off the kelp into midwater and I spun around to locate and film it. I was extremely lucky to do so almost immediately. In less than two seconds, the octo reoriented itself in the water column and jetted off into the dark void beyond the reach of my video lights leaving a cloud of obscuring ink to obscure its destination from the kelp bass. Now I've filmed octos as they jetted off above the bottom, seeking shelter from potential predators... or even me. After all, I learned to love octopus as a menu item during the month I was in Greece many decades ago. But this was a pretty spectacular event to film and share with my readers. Hence the tale of "Air Octo."

If you look at the image in the upper right, you can detect a white spot on the arm at the lower right of the cephalopod. It appears one of the kelp bass did get a small bite of the octo, which may have triggered its abrupt departure. I have watched as a group of kelp bass tore apart a dead octopus in the dive park, and several garibaldi did likewise with one at Ship Rock. Although they are a bit "rubbery," they are obviously a favored entree for fish (including our giant sea bass)

Shortly after my "Air Octo" encounter, I settled down at 35 feet to film a moray and a kelp bass both vying for some tasty blacksmith. They were also taking nips at one another, and I wanted to film the competition. As I waited, I noticed my regulator was not delivering air as easily as it should. Heck I had been in the water just over 16 minutes and knew a full tank would last me at least 60-70 minutes given my anticipated dive profile. My mind focused on the filming instead of the warning sign.

Finally I adjusted my regulator to increase the air flow. That didn't help, so I shined my video light on my SPG (air pressure gauge) and found the tank read as close to zero... zilch... nada as my aging eyes could detect. For the third time in my nearly 50 years of diving, I was unintentionally OOA (out of air). Apparently the tank had not been filled, and my dive lasted only as long as the 600 psi I had left in the tank after the last dive allowed. Fortunately I was able to do a very slow and controlled ascent to the surface and a surface swim back to the dive park stairs. You can bet my pony bottle will be mounted back on my main tank for the next dive! One should never get too complacent when diving no matter how many decades they've submerged. Next time I'll follow protocol and check my SPG before I descend.

Image caption: "Air Octo" in mid-air (er, water) after shooting off the kelp; ink cloud emerging as octo jets off and the final frame showing the cloud obscuring my view... and that of the kelp bass!

DDDB%20403%20air%20octo%20sm.jpg

Dr billy boy, I know you know, yet this is my habit, purge tank look exactly what pressure is, the turn off, When donning turn tank on and see if pressure increases on spg. Now that checks air and leakage, My failure is to make sure it is on when decending, so I practice turning air on in water, just incase I have forgotten to, like you forgot to fill and check.

And some wonder how divers die, it can be simple mistakes. Like the octo night dive.

Happy Diving

Dr. Bill. No admonishments about your OOA. I'm not one to cast the first stone. I want to share my favorite octopus story. My long time dive buddy, Dale Pratt, was using his old Army duffle bag as a lift bag. He anchored the bag, partially inflated the bag with his mouthpiece, and went about his business. He returned to find a male octopus wrapped around his duffle bag, depositing sperm sacs as he would inside the mantle of a female. Despite hundreds of dives in the area in the intervening decades, we have seen no evidence of an octoduffel. Some hybrids just aren't to be. - oldsalt

Oldsalt... sounds like something I'd do!

Voodoogasman... it was not me who didn't fill the tank, it was the novice shop jock who did it (twice on my tank because he didn't know how to hook up DIN valves properly). I usually fill my own tank at the dive shop to make sure, but had to leave it this time because they had a line. My bad for not checking the SPG before the dive of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom