DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #775: ORANGETHROAT PIKEBLENNY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #775: ORANGETHROAT PIKEBLENNY

Not being able to dive for a while has left me heartbroken. There are so many species of marine critters that I would love to see again... and shoot (with a camera!). One of them is a personal favorite of mine, the orangethroat pikeblenny (Chaenopsis alepidota) known as tubícola lucio to my Latin friends. Although somewhat small in size (up to about 6" in length), these fish make up for it with vigorous courtship antics. More on their fascinating sex lives later in this column.

This pikeblenny is found in southern California waters, although primarily on the offshore islands and along the coast of Baja California into the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez). There appears to be very little gene flow between these two regions. Occasionally they may be found as far north as Point Sur, but they are rare in central California. It is also reported that they may be found from Mazatlan down to Guatemala. They occupy shallow water habitats less than about 75 fsw with soft substrate. The site I used to see them at most frequently was on the sandy bottom offshore from Hen Rock near White's Landing.

The body is greatly elongated making them look somewhat similar to pipefish. This species exhibits sexual dimorphism meaning males and females differ in appearance. The females are generally a more drab brown or green with many white spots and darker bars along the side of their body. Males possess a much larger dorsal fin and are generally darker in color based on my observations. During mating season the males display a bright orange streak running from the mouth backwards over the gill covers.

In our region males usually locate worm tubes that they can shelter in. Often one sees the male's head extending out of the tube as it keeps watch for other males or females or searches for food nearby. Although they often stay close to their tubes, there is some dispute as to whether pikeblennies are territorial or not. Some observers feel the male's displays are in defensive of territory but I disagree. They will cover a fairly large home range in search of munchies. These pikeblennies chow down on crustaceans such as mysid shrimp and amphipods, worms and small fish.

Males can be aggressive toward one another, especially when competing for worm tubes to settle in. They are known to mouth fight, grasping the competitor with their jaws. They are able to open up their large mouths and look quite ferocious... if you are another pikeblenny. I don't scare that easily. Dr. Milton Love writes that they look like a "freaky cobra/lizard."

Mating season in our neck of the ocean may exhibit distinct periods vs the apparent year-round mating observed further south. I have observed them courting during June and July off Catalina. The male will appear to go crazy, bobbing up and down in its tube and extending its body toward an approaching female. Not much different from human males at the Marlin or Chi Chi Clubs here in town. If he successfully lures her into his lair, the female will enter the male's tube. Apparently the eggs are laid there and are defended by the male. Upon hatching the larvae become planktonic.

This fish is a good example of how little we know about many of the marine critters in our oceans. Although it is found well within recreational diving depths, and can often be studied fairly close up, there are relatively few details available about its life history. For those divers just starting out, there are mysteries to unveil in the coming years so go out and do it!

© 2018 Dr. Bill Bushing. For the entire archived set of nearly 775 "Dive Dry" columns, visit my website Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Home Page

Image caption: Males displaying to attract females into their tubes; male displaying with female approaching tube and male and female inside tube; two higher resolution images of a male and a female courtesy of Kevin Lee.
DDDB 775 orangethroat pikeblenny sm.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom