Dive Experience for Wounded Vets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearldiver07

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All,

I recall a thread recently (I can't find it) raising funds/support for wounded vets to try diving.

I am trying to find that thread or group.

A friend of mine was catastrophically wounded about 3 years ago and has been recently cleared to dive by both DAN and his surgeons.

I might note that his injuries still greatly limit his ability to dive without trained assistance, so I was looking if there was a way to hook him up with this effort. Just to see if he could still dive.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I'll pass it along to him and his family.

Steve W.
Major, US Army (Retired)

Emily is correct. And I think HowardE, here on Scubaboard, may have been the local contact. PM him. If he's the wrong guy, he will certainly know who the right one is.

Art

I'm in Pa unfortunately or I'd love to help. One of my goals as a new instructor is to get my HSA cert and get active with the Wounded Warrior program and SUDS. I even have an invite from an HSA IT to come and take the course. He's said if I can get there the course will be at no cost. I've since heard of other IT's offering this as a public service. When I get my HSA Instructor cert I'll be doing the HSA buddy cert for anyone who wants it for pool & travel expenses only. Get a big enough group (4 or more) and it will most likely be in the 20-25 dollar range per person for a two day class.

This might be what you're looking for http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/operation-bottom-time/215953-operation-bottom-time.html

And this is their website SUDS Diving > Welcome to SUDS

There are several SBers that are fairly active with the charity (I'm not actually one of them, sorry). So if you have any questions that are not answered in this thread or on the SUDS website, I'm sure someone on here can help you.

Thank you!

That's the thread I was looking for.

My friend already is a certified diver, but lost 80% of his vision and is movement impaired on one side. The concern is whether his impairment will prevent future diving. And it was a few years since his last dive even before being wounded (he was concluding his third combat tour when he was wounded).

Back
Top Bottom