Dive Flag - What type do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lursxt

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,
I've done a search on the boards and could not get a conclusive answer. I need a dive flag and float for shore diving. There are two types I've seen at my LDS: the type that looks like a mooring pennant (small float on a fiberglass shaft with a lead weight at the bottom) and the innertube. What type are you using here in new england? Pros and cons? Thanks!

Personally I'd go with the foam float type over the innertube style. The foam float is maintenance free, can't leak, never need to add air to keep it inflated. Plus the way it is designed with the weight at the bottom of the shaft there is zero chance of the wind flipping your flag upside down.

For my first float, I went with the more expensive inner tube type -- the yellow one that says "Diver Below" on the side and which hangs the flag vertically from a cross bar. Don't waste your money. The tube eventually popped. The flag tends to go completely horizontal in the wind, which makes it pretty hard to see. When dumb boaters see the tube floating in the water, they will not recognize it as a dive flag. Instead, they'll think someone lost a tube and will drive right up to it to check it out. You might think the compartment in the center will come in handy, but I never used it. And to boot -- it's a pain in the *** to carry into the water on a shore dive. I gave mine away and went with the most simple dive flag, i.e., weight, pole, float, flag.

For a line, I'm not a huge fan of the big-spool-o-yellow-line that the dive shops sell (i.e. with the big plastic handle), but it's the cheapest way to go and I haven't found a better alternative just yet. You could get a finger spool or cheapo reel, but it would cost you a lot more and you probably won't be able to see the line as well in the water. It's also probably a good thing that the line floats to keep it off the bottom. One suggestion -- buy a $8 mini anchor at a boating store. I have the grappling hook kind. I attach that at the bottom of the line so I can put the flag down for a few minutes while I hunt for lobsters...

Good luck...

The foam ball floats are better for diving. Less drag in the water, etc. We use the big yellow inner tube for snorkeling. It's good to hang on if you get tired, and you can store a water bottle or small stuff inside.

If I am diving from a boat I put a 24" flag on the bow and unless I plan on diving quite a distance from the boat thats all I use. Otherwise I have 3 flags. 1 innertube, 1 foam ball, and 1 foam cyliner. The ball was a shipping mistake that I just kept but have never used. The one with the cylindrical foam piece is nice but I had an incident where I dove deeper than the length of line I had and the float pulled under and the foam compressed and the flag sank. I didn't notice what happened until I noticed some resistance and turned to see what was going on and entangled myself in 1/8" nylon rope. I spent like 10 min under water trying to untangle the mess but the velcro made things worse so I ended up surfacing (from the 30ft spot I was tangled at) and swiming to shore to untangle my mess. Note to self buy longer rope. :wink:

I dont dive with a flag from shore now unless it is a high traffic area and even then I prefer to use the inner tube and anchor methode.

I have tried both types and neither is great but the innertube is so buoyant that you could never pull it under which kinda sucks but is a blessing too. I would recomend you get a foam one with a cheap 3lb anchor (unless you have lots of current than maybe a heavier anchor) and only carry the flag when absolutly necessary.

Plus, the otters LOVE the tube! Here on the Northern California coast, it's not uncommon for the otters to jump into the tube, claim it as there own or pop the tubes. One time we had one otter that was jumping into the tube rafts and floats, tearing the tubing out and popping it and he did one after the other. It was kinda funny, but a bummer it was happening.

Most boaters around here don't know they are supposed to stay away from the flags. They will drive right up to it to check it out. I think it is safer to dive without a flag. I don't use one.

I use the one that is red and has a white band across...

however many boaters cannot tell the difference from one flag to another, especaially a dive flag...unless a boat is attached to it...then again..ya get buzzed anyways...

Back
Top Bottom