Dive for the Cure 2007 - SAN DIEGO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girldiverllc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings!!!

I am VERY excited to announce our San Diego date to everyone. This is expected to be the larger of the two events, and we've been sitting with fingers crossed waiting for the approval from the City of San Diego. But...WE'RE APPROVED!!

So...

October 12th - 14th, 2007 - Dive for the Cure will be in San Diego. On the 12th, we will be holding a dinner with auction. The 13th will have a pool session available to all participants in the Discover Scuba portion of the event...and on the 14th...

That's the MAIN EVENT. We'll have 40 new divers certified at the event, while raising monies and awareness for Breast Cancer. 20 divers will participate by doing a Discover Scuba at La Jolla Shores, and the third group will be 40 'already certified' divers who want to use their love of the underwater world to raise money for the cause. That's 100 divers in all...with countless spectators and supporters on the shore.

The monies raised in California will go to a program at Scripps Medical Center that offers uninsured women under the age of 39...and men of any age...a follow-up visit after finding an issue on a mammogram. They've had the program for free mammograms in place...but this is an off shoot that offers a diagnosis, rather than just, "yep...you've got something in there..." Then the patients can get tied in so they can receive treatment early on...raising the survival rate tremendously.

Our California goal is to raise over $75,000 for this program.

We are currently mobilizing our volunteer crew in So Cal...and so far have some amazing talent on it! If anyone in So. Cal would like to participate in the coordination or actually IN the event, let me know and we'll get you in!!!

Hi,
I am a nurse working at Scripps Green Medical Center. Please tell me more.
Valerie

Ummm...tell you more...

It's hard to tell everything via this forum, as I have about 20 pages of collateral materials created to outline the event.

The basics...we're holding two events, one in Seattle and one in San Diego. This event transcends all certification organizations...all are welcome to participate.

The event is designed to include both men and women, though the "new" divers certified at the event will be women. Our goal is not to discourage men from joining the sport, rather focusing on encouraging women, and finding an issue that may make women take that step that otherwise they wouldn't have.

Men will be encouraged to participate in the final dive of the day.

The event will raise monies through the 200 total divers fundraising efforts, as well as two auctions held for the event.

This is the first year of the event, and it's definitely taken on a life of it's own. The plans, prior to October, are to enhance the website, allowing for divers throughout the country to "sponsor" participants, so if they'd like to make a difference, but they live in Kansas...they still can.

We are at this point just trying to catch up to the momentum that the event has generated.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about the event, or to match anyone who'd like to participate up with a participating dive center. We should have all 20 dive center spots taken by May 30, so will be filling them in with participants coming from other locations.

We've already had divers interested in coming from Alabama and Louisiana, so that's exciting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom