Dive Friendly Foods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Between dives, I enjoy a light snack like this:

MAINE_MARVEL_GRAM_300.jpg

Let's all dive with Rick so that we can dine with him during his surface intervals feast...yummy!!!

Things to Avoid
3. Caffine unless you are an addict -- Not drinking drinking your normal cup of joe (if it really is everyday) can cause headaches.

I regularly watch the morning news shows to alleviate the boredom of my exercise bike. I have seen two different features in which nutrition experts talk about coffee. Both said that while caffeine does have a dehydrating effect on the body, there is so much water in the coffee most peope drink (I am not talking espresso shots) that the net effect of drinking coffee in the morning is hydration, not dehydration.

If you dive dry you may want to avoid foods that give you gas but really I just see it as free suit inflation...

We call that diving "buttrox" around here.

I eat the same before a dive as I would before a workout, or before work, or before anything else.

30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fats

Typical breakfast, pre-whatever would be
3 egg white omelet w/cheese
3 strips turkey bacon
2/3 cup rolled oats (oatmeal) w/powdered cinnamon
1/2 cup blackberries
9 almonds (yes, i count them)

Lunch (easy to pack)
4 1/2 oz deli meat
1 oz cheese
1 apple
1 grapefruit
4 macadamia nuts or 12 almonds

Last edited:
2/3 cup rolled oats (oatmeal) w/powdered cinnamon

What???!!! Not steel cut oats??!!! What's wrong with you?

40+40+30=110

What???!!! Not steel cut oats??!!! What's wrong with you?

I just get the organic rolled oats at Central Market. I don't think they have steel cut :)

40+40+30=110

Meant to put 30% protein, good catch :p

PS I give 110% though :doh2:

I just get the organic rolled oats at Central Market. I don't think they have steel cut :)
:

I bet they do. It is sometimes called Irish Oats. The consistency is more like nuggets than the rolled mass of flat disks in the rolled variety.

The advantage is that the fiber is not so thoroughly beaten down as in the rolling process. The disadvantage is that it takes a lot longer to cook. When I make them, I get up early and put them on with lots of water at a simmer. I read the paper and go about my other morning activities, checking on it from time to time. After about 45 minutes (depending upon how much water I put in, how high the heat, etc.) it's ready to go. You can also start it the night before and finish it in the morning.

Although it takes 45 minutes of cooking to get it done, the amount of your time taken is the same as any other oatmeal. Just don't stand there watching the pot.

I never knew there were different kinds of oats. I REALLY didn't know I'd learn the difference on Scubaboard.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom