Dive Gauges - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are wanting to get dive gauges to finish up our gear we need. We have the Aqualung LX Legend regulators and matching octos. I have the Axiom i3, and she has the Twilight, so then we have the inflator lines. All we are missing are our gear gauges. I am not wanting to spend a lot, because the goal will be to get a wireless transmitters so I don't want to spend a lot on the gauges. Besides buying used from my local dive shop, anyone have a decent recommendation for about $150-200 each? All it needs is air and depth. The compass is a take it or leave it. Advice?

why not get a spg and a dive computer you can add the transmitter to later on? a spg is around 60 or so and a dg03 that you can add the transmitter to later on is 250. if you were willing to go used, you can probably find an older oceanic/suunto/uwatec computer under 200 without a transmitter that you could add the transmitter to later on.

I would recommend purchasing a computer that has the wireless option, and then just purchase a single pressure gauge, later you can purchase the transmitter when you are ready. I also suggest to keep the pressure gauge even after you have your wireless transmitter in the event the transmitter is unresponsive you can still continue your dive and monitor your air. I also posted in another post about attaching a 6 inch HP hose in between the transmitter and 1st stage as someone helping out may think it is the tank handle and grab the transmitter snapping it off.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/introductions-greets/492476-wrist-vs-console-computer.html

I know wireless is convenient, but one line of thinking tries to keep things as simple as they possibly can be. This would involve ditching the wireless option and monitoring your air through a very reliable spg. I dive this way and like it very much.

Simple good, very good!! Just a thought.

I am a belt and suspenders type of person. I have a wireless air integrated computer but I also use an analog SPG as a back up. I have had just enough issues with the wireless air integration not to trust it as my sole means of tracking my psi. If the Transmiter has a problem syncing or looses sync I just switch to the SPG and start or continue the dive. I also wear a second backup computer, same brand same settings, and an extra depth gauge in a pocket JIC.

For the most part an SPG is an SPG is an SPG if it works it works. Air integration, wired or wireless, is a nice feature but can be spendy if your reg gets flooded, water being forced into the sending unit or the AI computer will usually trash them. An SPG will die also but is a Lot cheeper to replace.

You might take a look at this. Seems to be just what you are looking for. There are several more options listed if that one doesn't do the trick.

Aeris Max-Depth Console at LeisurePro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom