Dive gear retail on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are new divers (38 dives) and have only worn dive skins for protection so far. We were certified in 2015 on Roatan and returned in 2016 for two weeks. Both Roatan visits were in May and the water temperature was 82. We will be on Bonaire in two weeks. After reading several threads here, I am thinking we need to invest in wetsuits (we have to sooner or later anyway). We do not have an LDS convenient to our home. A couple of questions:

1) Are there any recommended dive gear retail shops on Bonaire with a large selection of wetsuits?

2) How are the retail prices compared to the US?

I would say buy local (while in the US). Maybe get a hold of leisure pro, order a few different sizes, try them on at home, and mail back the one's that don't fit. With only 2 weeks you have a pretty small window to get a suit that you're happy with.

If you need to rent gear check out VIP diving. We've only been there for one day (cruise ship stop) but their store is really nice, and their gear was newer and well kept. We'll be renting air from them when we return for a week this fall.

Moderate selection and good prices at Caribbean Inn. But wetsuits have to fit, so buy before you go if possible.

Ive been using a bare 3mm full suit. Ive been using it in the caribbean, specifically in Puerto Rico and Bonaire. It has worked like a charm.

2nd Leisure Pro. Order what you think will fit and send back the others. It's part of their fit guarantee. 2 weeks is plenty of time. As far as temperature, a 3mm is sufficient. For rocky entrances and exits (I assume you will be shore diving) it helps in case you take a spill.

Bonaire has 2 excellent retail shops that stock wetsuits. Carib Inn and Dive Friends will have "normal" sized suits in stock. We find Carib Inn to be priced about the same or less than US retailers.

that being said, I think it is better to try and find a suit before you go--use the Bonaire stores as a last resort.

Fit is very important for comfort and warmth--remember that wetsuits need to be TIGHT to work properly. when my wife bought her last one from Carib Inn, Bruce told her to go one size smaller than the one she was replacing. She was hesitant, but now she thinks the newer, smaller size is the warmest and best fit ever. don't be distracted by the size-get the one that fits the best.

Note that when you go from a dive skin to a 3mm(or more) wetsuit, you will have to adjust your weighting as the neoprene will definitely add additional flotation . Depending on your size, you will likely have to add several pounds of lead.

enjoy Bonaire-I bet you go back again!!

Vann

3 mm full suit. Henderson tends to be stretchier than most others but in my experience, this is a a +/- situation. + will be easier to don, doff, and tight fit still comfortable. - less thermal protection than some other brands. Bruce Bowker, Carib Inn, usually has a good selection of thicknesses and sizes.

To those who suggested a mail in dive supplier, shame on you. Much better to support your local dive shop or the shops in Bonaire who struggle to stay in business and provide service.

Let's see if you can arrange an overnight regulator repair at Leisurepro the way I have at my local dive shop and at Carib Inn. Carib Inn prices in my experience have been competitive with US. Last year my wife bought a very high quality 3.5/2.5 semi dry suit ( Emu, Waterproof) with arm and leg zippers at a shop on the road between Buddy Dive and town. Dive Friends Bonaire. We were happy with price, service and quality.

Thanks to all for your replies. According to Sea water temperature Bonaire today. Sea surface temperature Bonaire now. Current Bonaire water temperature., the current water temperature on Bonaire is 81F. We found our dive skins were enough at 82F on Roatan doing 2-4 dives per day (45 to 65 minute dives). Only remember being slightly chilled once or twice. I am thinking we will start out with our skins on Bonaire but also shop for wetsuits while on the island. Agreeing with Doctorfish, I would prefer to support the local economy if the prices are fair.

To those who suggested a mail in dive supplier, shame on you. Much better to support your local dive shop or the shops in Bonaire who struggle to stay in business and provide service. .

Yeah, I get it and my LDS gets a ton of my money. Did you ask if the OP's shop has what they need nearby? Did you ask if the OP has a shop nearby at all? Is the OP guaranteed to find what they need once they arrive on their vacation? With a large purchase of gear on top of an expensive dive vacation I suppose now they are also to be philanthropic at every opportunity to spend what they earned regardless of cost? At one point, leisure pro was a small business and is still an LDS to someone. At what point do you stop supporting them? Number of employees? Annual sales? An internet presence? I don't get much from them, but they have been competitive, responsive, and have had what I needed when my LDS didn't . To demand someone feel shame for shopping around is pompous at best. Reminder: this is 2017. What they spend is frankly not a wit's of your business.

So as far as shame, thanks but no thanks. I feel none and neither should anyone else. Shame on YOU for suggesting otherwise.

Bare Evoke for women is very stretchy and comfortable. Easy to get on. I have a 3mm but haven't dove it yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom