Dive Guide, Dive Master, Dive Con. SSI??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maryland Diver Dave

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just a question to all our SSI folks.

Why did SSI add or break up in affect their entry level leadership positions?

I am an SSI divecon, AOWI and DiveCon Instructor. I always thought that having training as an SSI DiveCon was always far better than the other agencys' Divemaster training.

I also am a PADI and SDI Instructor and find that to train dive leaders to the level of the SSI DiveCon you have to teach to the AI level.

I thought that SSI did it better. Now why the change? Is it a hook to get more divers into leadership positions? A way to "sell" more courses?

I also see a trend across the industry to become more standardized if you will. Everybody is starting to look the same.

When I started with SSI in the early '90s the program was so much different in their approach than the PADI lds up the street. That's is what made me choose SSI in the first place. Now if you look at the training programs of the major agencies, they almost look the same. I think we are loosing our individuality as agencies, a thing that used to make us "different" or "special". (WRSTC standards aside, of course:wink:)

Maryland Diver Dave
SSI DiveCon Instructor; PSAI Master Instructor; SDI OWI and PADI Specialty Instructor.

I was told that since SSI didn't have the "normal" classifications they had to add dive guide and dive master for resorts that are crossing over to SSI. Resorts didn't want to do alot of additional training for their current staff to become SSI. This could be wrong, but it is what I heard and it makes sense.

I was told that since SSI didn't have the "normal" classifications they had to add dive guide and dive master for resorts that are crossing over to SSI. Resorts didn't want to do alot of additional training for their current staff to become SSI. This could be wrong, but it is what I heard and it makes sense.

Yeah...it makes some sense...as in $$$$ and cents. SSI would in my eyes be lowering their standards just to get more resorts, shops etc.

DiveCons were always more trained than an average divemaster. Now, just to get more dive leaders crossed over to SSI they are willing to not make them do the extra modules of training to become "dive leaders' in SSI?

As I said...the whole industry is "dumbing down" everything. This is a trend in all education. I see it everyday...unfortunately.

I am not saying it is bad or good, just not up to the high standards I had expected from SSI.

Maryland Diver Dave

The DiveCon standards have not changed. An SSI DiveCon is still trained to the AI level of other agencies. All that is different is a equal dive leader classification for resorts and stores to crossover to. Once crossed over they can begin training their current staff to the SSI level. DiveCons are in fact trained to a higher level than divemasters, and I am sure it will remain the entry level for begining Instructor training. IMO I don't see any dumbing down of standards by creating certification levels or stepping stones to the divecon level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom