Dive House - Scuba Du

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call me jaded, but I'm still not sure why "You might be surprised to know that Dive House and Scuba Du are not the only two dive ops in Cozumel." is considered an idiotic response, condescending, sarcastic, or snarky. Or, rather, I'm not sure how one points out even more diplomatically to someone who is bent on only considering two shops that there are more than two dive shops to consider.

If I just said "Dive House and Scuba Du are not the only two dive shops in Cozumel", that sounds even snarkier. The "you might be surprised" makes it sound less condescending IMO. If I said "There are more than two dive shops in Cozumel" or "You might want to consider other dive shops in Cozumel", well those versions sound pretty condescending too.

Actually, it's pretty darn hard to give commonly known information to a newcomer who doesn't seem to know the information without sounding condescending. Maybe I'll just give up responding to all newcomers. It's not worth it. After all, it's not like I get anything personally out of it, I'm just trying to help. If people really don't want help then let them choose dive ops that limit dives, run a set schedule, and don't store wetsuits. But coming here to solicit free information, then complaining that the information isn't presented to them on a silver platter with bells and whistles, well... It just ain't worth it.

pm'd instead

stevep4444 said:
Two days was enough of Scuba Du for me! I am not a fan of big slow boats,big crowds or timed dives(or when the first diver was low on air) where I was coming up with the 1200-1500 psi. Never again!!

Have hundreds of dives with Scuba-Du and have never had a timed dive, or got back on the boat with more than 500-ish pounds.
But that's just me. I really enjoy diving though and try to look to the positive.....:D

Attachments

• DSCF0961.jpg
    DSCF0961.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 155
Today I looked all over this boat, topside and below deck, honest, no cattle anywhere..... :D

Steve if you hate big slow boats, don't join the U.S. Navy...... trust me..... :wink:

stevep4444 said:

Have hundreds of dives with Scuba-Du and have never had a timed dive, or got back on the boat with more than 500-ish pounds.
But that's just me. I really enjoy diving though and try to look to the positive.....:D

i have only 4 dives wit Scuba Du and can only share those experiences. The two deeper dives were 35 min and the shallow two were 45 min. Big, slow,and crowded boats are not my thing either.

Darol, I am happy for you that you found a shop that you are comfortable with and meets your dive expectations! Enjoy!

---------- Post added February 12th, 2014 at 10:27 PM ----------

Today I looked all over this boat, topside and below deck, honest, no cattle anywhere..... :D

Steve if you hate big slow boats, don't join the U.S. Navy...... trust me..... :wink:

Appreciate the advice.

200 dives with that shop? Just me but if my only scuba shop choice was Scuba Du I would be a much more experienced snorkeler.

The two deeper dives were 35 min and the shallow two were 45 min.

Wow- those are really short dives.

I really hope deeper was like 100 ft and shallower was like 80... Because if shallower was Columbia Shallows- that is miserable. I was a complete newbie, who was incredibly nervous my first day and had horrible air consumption and I managed 75 minutes on Columbia Shallows.

Here is a suggestion for Purple Bleeder. Assuming that you dive four days, dive the first two days with Scuba Du. I have never used them but I doubt that they would be the in house dive op at the Presidente if they did not offer a reasonable dive experience.

Then dive with another dive op. I will offer my preferred dive op of Aldora (aldora.com). You get larger tanks, a beach club surface interval and more. Diving with them only two days may not open up some of their more advanced dive sites but at least you are exposed to a different type of dive op.

Thanks all!!

Moss, 26 years of diving. 6th trip to Cozumel. Sorry if I took that wrong. Sounded like an insult. The problem with text.

Maybe I just don't get it, perhaps you someone can clarify. I rent. BC and wetsuit, computer. With an onsite dive operator, don't care where, I know I have my gear when I get on that boat. I throw on the wet suit. I throw on the BC. Dock side. If it doesn't fit, I try another. Let's go diving!

If I dive with an Aldora or any other, how does that work? I was told I go in to town to the shop and try on gear and they bring it on the boat. I'm paranoid. What if someone forgets something, it's the wrong size. Do I scrub my day. Ouch.

I'm sure most on this board have their own gear, so that is not a factor.

Thanks all!!
If I dive with an Aldora or any other, how does that work? I was told I go in to town to the shop and try on gear and they bring it on the boat. I'm paranoid. What if someone forgets something, it's the wrong size. Do I scrub my day. Ouch.

No different than if Scuba Du messes up. Verify your gear when you board the Aldora boat. If it is wrong, they can get what you need to you.

They can pull into Mr Sanchos and await a truck with what you need. I doubt that it is common. They place your gear in a dive bag with your name and possibly hotel on it.

Purplebleeder- if you rent, a good op will make sure your gear fits when they pick you up. The boat I was on, she had multiple fin sizes for people to try on, for example. When someone who needed a size 10 wetsuit had asked for a 4, rather then say "hey it was your fault" she called to delay the other pick ups to drive back in town to get the right size.

Nothing wrong with using an in house op, but the pick up ones do this all the time. You won't lose a day.

Makes sense. Thank you. So many familiar faces at Dive House I plan to book my first couple days with them and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom