dive insurance input please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I would like to get input on divers insurance from you guys on the board. my dive insurance is up for renewal and it seems same as the competition. I can't honesty say how good it is cuz I have never had to use it (Thank God) and hope I never will.
I know thAR DAN is big, but I never bought it because I never liked the fact that I was told by one of there representitives that for me to have DAN dive insurance I would have to pay a members fee as part of the deal. That kinda of always struck me wrong since I just wanted to buy insurance and not a seperate membership. So question is who do you folks use and are they any good??:)

I use DAN -- I personally haven't had a problem with them, nor fortunately had to use them.

I also carry a separate insurance (D.E.P.P.) on my camera (flood insurance) - again no problem, but which I have had to use.

You might check out Insurance thread for other input.

I went with DAN, the memebership didn't bother me...especially since it comes with Travel Insurance.

But really, I would have probably become a member anyway, the organization does good things for the dive world.

I went with DAN insurance for a number of reasons:

DAN is a non-profit organization that does a lot of great things for divers. If, in the unfortunate event that I do need to use the insurance, DAN's hotline and their research may well contribute to saving my life.

Their cost is roughly the same as other dive insurance for the same level of coverage, even after adding in the cost of the DAN membership.

PADI insurance brochures boast about the fact that they give a donation to DAN when you buy their insurance. I'd rather get the insurance directly from DAN, so that they get more of the money. PADI's insurance program is through Valencia & Buckley, a private, for-profit insurance company. DAN gets less money this way, and the difference goes to a private insurance corporation.

DAN insurance covers just about anything that happens to you in the water, including infections from cuts that happened while diving or snorkeling.

DAN insurance covers research diving done under the auspices of AAUS (Amer. Academy of Underwater Sciences, I think), which is probably NOT a consideration for most people, but is for me. PADI's insurance does not cover that.

DAN membership has a number of other priviledges besides eligibility for the insurance, which make the membership worth it. Among other things, they include some books on safe diving, and a subscription to their diving magazine.

I don't know about other insurances besides PADI and DAN, but I know that there is every reason to support DAN by buying their membership and insurance package.

One last detail....There is one small way in which PADI's coverage exceed's DAN's. In one of the supplemental insurances (I think it's trip cancellation reimbursement or something travel-related like that) PADI's limit is per trip, while DAN just has a lifetime limit. However, since you are unlikely to even need that coverage, I would say just go with DAN's insurance for all the other reasons, and if you end up needing that supplemental insurance so many times that you reach DAN's lifetime maximum on it (which is pretty unlikely) you can always just switch to PADI's insurance after that.

Sorry this was such a long response. I recently went through the diving insurance search myself, so this was all at the top of my mind. I hope this helps!

Dive safe!
otter-cat:)

In Israel, having a diving insurance is required by law in order to dive. No dive center will rent you equipment or fill your tanks without insurance. From my experience working in a dive center in Eilat- There are only three kinds of insurances that give world -wide suport on the spot, no question asked and those three are-

Clal insurence(israely company), DAN, and another duch company which I can't recall their name. Have any other type of insurance and you may have problems, if the need is urgent.

example- You need an HBO treatment, but you a different kind of insurance- you will probobly have to pay for the treatment out of your own pocket, but, when you return home you can go to the company and claim the money. If it is a good company you should have no problem, if it isn't you'll need to go to court. Using one of the three insurances I mentioned will have the insurance paying directly for the treatment, and probobly also for any lost equipment/flights etc etc.

Liquid,
I was recently on a trip where a diver embolized and needed treatment. All told, with air and land transport and chamber treatment, his bill came to $65,000. If you are an active diver, you should have insurance, don't quibble about the extra $25 for membership.

Neil

Go with DAN. Even if you don't ever need to use it (which we hope) at least you know you are helping other divers and supporting the cause.

I have it and love the benefits that go with it. Recently they sent me a key chain tag, so that if you lose your keys DAN will send them back to you. Now I just have to take off my Harris Teeter and Bi-Lo ones, and I am set.

brandon

Why take chances... if you've got a lot of money (well then you probably value your life and have great insurance anyway)... even if you are on a budget.. DAN's premium insurance package is only 99$ a year... Less than 10$ a month...

My life is definately worth 10$ a month. Especially when you consider my AUTO insurance is $110...

just my opinion and you know what they say about those :wink:

Can't go wrong with DAN. I carry DAN's Prefferred plan and when my son certifies this Summer, I'll move it from an individual plan to a Family Plan. :)

Back
Top Bottom