dive knife questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for feedback regarding dive knives. I am interested in purchasing one I can use for both kayaking and diving and am looking for direction. Small and compact is definitely something I am seeking. Also, how often does anyone actually use their dive knife (for its intended purpose)?

Let me know,

I have as of yet to kill a shark as seen on so many TV shows.

Nor have I cut anybody's regulator hose as seen on Sea Hunt..........God Bless Lloyd Bridges and face the East.

bwerb once bubbled...
Hi,

I am looking for feedback regarding dive knives. I am interested in purchasing one I can use for both kayaking and diving and am looking for direction. Small and compact is definitely something I am seeking.

A knife is a tool. Like any other tool it is important that the tool matches the job. While it's possible to shave with a properly sharpened fillet knife, a razor does the job more efficiently. Look at what you might need the knife to do in your local diving. Get a knife to match the heaviest job that it might have to do. If that is too heavy for the finest job you might have to you'll need another to match that. If either can be used in your kayak it's lagniappe.

Also, how often does anyone actually use their dive knife (for its intended purpose)?

Almost every dive.

Knives are like potato chips, you can't have just one.
I'd say start off with a little blunt nose, like a Gerber River Shorty & work your way in either direction.
If you're going to be diving in monofilament (fishing lure) heaven, hook knives & snips are good for trimming the treasures.
Serrated edges or "50/50" blades work best for heavier line cutting.

these are far too inexpensive for most folks taste but it is what I keep in a small scabbard on my waist belt... I use them for sharpening pencils.... red one is on my doubles rig... black on is on my singles rig.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
these are far too inexpensive for most folks taste but it is what I keep in a small scabbard on my waist belt... I use them for sharpening pencils.... red one is on my doubles rig... black on is on my singles rig.

Do you find that effective for cutting fishing line? I'm sure there's plenty out there, isn't there?

jonnythan once bubbled...
Do you find that effective for cutting fishing line?
Since the knives are both razor sharp monofilament melts before them... however we are just as likely to find SS downrigger line... for this the EMT snips work wonders (kept clipped off in the left thigh pocket.)

If find that most conventional dive knives do not do an adequate job on either mono or SS so I don't carry one... (and they really don't work that well for sharpening pencils either.)

The red handled knife has had the pommels ground off and the blade was scored with a file where I wanted it to break... I then put it in a vise with the tip sticking up and gave it a whack with a hammer... then finished by grinding it smooth.

The Victornox paring knife had a nice little hook blade but the point was sharp... so I ground that off keeping the rounded tip dull... the inside edge is verrrrrrrrry sharp however.... I can't even test it with the hairs on the back of my hand... as soon as they see the little paring knife coming they just jump right off...

Now someone always mentions hawsers... since I have never been tangled in a hawser (nor do I expect to be) I don't take a tool along capable of cutting hawsers... perhaps this is something I should think more about... do you suppose that a folding pruning saw would work?

i cary a pair of trama shears, a little knife, and a leatherman.
the leathermans only purpose is for cable. I got caught once, even though i was able to untangle myself, i know scissors or a knife would have been usless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom