Dive Lake Mead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glcoley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Living in Phoenix we are not diving enough, my wife doesn't like the local lakes at all.
Current conditions at Lake Mead?
I have heard the lake is way down and not a good choice now?
Also in trying to research the area I am a little concerned about the "amount" and "level" of LDS negative comments I've seen for the Las Vegas/Lake Mead area.
I'm used to differing opinions on LDS', but this seems worse than usual to me.
Looking for recommendations for first time divers to Lake Mead.
Wife and I dive in warm and cold, wet and dry, fresh and salt, I am Master Scuba Diver, wife is Advanced Open Water.
Can bring all our own gear in the truck or leave the cylinders at home, although we prefer steel.
Thanks for any help...

Lake Mead isn't that great for diving. The water level has been on a continuous drop for several years and many of the usual dive sites are now above water. A better and closer dive site would be Lake Mohave. Check out Cabinsite not too far from Katherine Landing. It's 2 hours closer to you. The only problem is the closest dive shop is in Kingman, about 45 minutes away. I suggest you bring your own tanks. Check out my website - Chipola Divers - for more information on it, and photos. (I used to live in Arizona.)

I hope it's OK if I post here. I'm not even certified. I have been snorkeling in Cozumel & near the reef in Playa del Carmen and I loved it so I joined this board to see who the best instructor near me would be.

My dad lives in Laughlin and I never knew that there was any diving in Lake Mohave or Lake Mead.

Now I want to take classes even sooner. If I can dive in Lake Mohave, I think I would go see him even more and he can watch my kids so I can dive. (I hope)

Would Lake Mead, Mohave or Havasu be any good for beginning divers?

Lake Mohave has the best diving available and is great for beginning divers. The visibility is usually in the 20-30 foot range. Lake Mead and Lake Havasu tend to have visibility less than 10', usually closer to 5'. They are shallow, but you can't see much. Check out the Dive Sites page on my website for more info and photos.

Actually Lake Mead is great for Technical Diving. There are lots of things to see. I dive there a lot. It wouldn't be great for beginners but if you are like me and will dive anywhere any time. Then who really cares. If you want to dive for deep wreaks as well as historic planes then Lake Mead is a great diving destination. Check out www.lakemeadtechnicaldivers.com. Check out the media section and watch the videos. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
couldn't connect to above link. Broken?

Thanks for fixing the link. Just visited the site.

Actually Lake Mead is great for Technical Diving. There are lots of things to see. I dive there a lot. It wouldn't be great for beginners but if you are like me and will dive anywhere any time. Then who really cares. If you want to dive for deep wreaks as well as historic planes then Lake Mead is a great diving destination. Check out Lake Mead Technical Divers. Check out the media section and watch the videos. Just my 2 cents.

True. I was responding to the OP's current level of certification, and for that level, the diving there isn't great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom