Dive Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtoorish:
Hello All,

I'm taking the AOW course this weekend in Newport, RI. Among the dives is a night dive, my first. I have a small dive light, it uses a couple of AA batteries, I can clip it to my mask or guage hose. It's okay for situations where there is some light and I just want to shine a bit more illumination into a crevice.

I'm planning to buy a larger, more powerful light for the AOW course. I know there are a vast array of options. Anyone have any particular affinity for any specific dive light?

Thanks.

Safe Diving

Jeff

How much are you willing to spend? You can go really expensive...and buy a DiveRite or OMS rechargable dive light.

yep...first figure how much of you money you want going to the light...then we can help point you in the right direction...I personally own the Shockwave with 3 LEDS. not a problem so far while bug hunting at night. but it doesn't mean its the right one for you.

Doc intrepid makes a point about limitiation of lights, essentially when the visibility is lousy you can't have too much. My wife and I went with the Pricnceton Shockwave LED and TEC 400 packups that also do daytime duty. When the visibility drops the back skatter (headlights in a snowstorm) really does kill the distance. We have been in southern Maine salt and fresh and did have one dive that she called.

However as a matter of perspective if you plan to be a "fair weather" night diver, venturing from shore to check out the critters at night and are willing to call the dive when visibility's not up to par then any of the "larger 4/8 C-cell lights will get you going. Keep in mind that visibility could shut down behind you so good buddy behavior is more critical than on more mundane dives.

I think the key is in what you are going to really do for dives. Is the light provided for the class session? Can you rent for the night? There's nothing like trying before you buy. Different divers need different amounts of light to be comfortable in the water at night. I like to block my light and swim in my wifes pool of light, she can't have enough, but she's acclimating.

PM me if you want to go out some night!

Pete

jtoorish:
Hello All,

I'm taking the AOW course this weekend in Newport, RI. Among the dives is a night dive, my first. I have a small dive light, it uses a couple of AA batteries, I can clip it to my mask or guage hose. It's okay for situations where there is some light and I just want to shine a bit more illumination into a crevice.

I'm planning to buy a larger, more powerful light for the AOW course. I know there are a vast array of options. Anyone have any particular affinity for any specific dive light?

Thanks.

Safe Diving

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom