Dive Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Ben Bob

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm going to a camp to get advanced open water certified this summer, and I was wondering if having a dive light would be useful. I don't need a huge d-cell lamp, just something small that'll fit in a bc pocket. I'll be diving in a quarry which supposedly has wrecked motorcycles and train cars to look at. After reading some reviews I'm thinking of buying the Princeton Tec 400. IS this a good choice or do you guys have other reccomendations? Thanks!

Hi Ben

For an low cost light that works great, check out your local home improvement store (Lowes, Home Depot). They have a waterproof light that uses 3 C cells that works great. It is made by Saber (I think) and sells for about $20. It has a twist on/off switch, a stainless steel ring to attach it with, a lanyard and a spring loaded belt clip. I carry one most of the time and have had it to +100 fsw with no problems. It looks exactly like the ones sold in dive stores under the Pelican brand (and I suspect it is made by the same company).

Ben,

If you are going to take your AOW you will need 2 lights, for your night dive.

This you won't want to miss, night diving is where it's at.

ID

Hello Ben, Don is right about needing two lights. I've always liked the modularity and ease of operation of the Niterider lights. Check into the SeaTorch, it's a great light.

As for a back-up light I like using a Underwater Kinetics Mini Q40. It's a small light that has a lot of power, and mounts on the side of you mask strap. So not only does it stay out of the way, but is easy to access when you need it. It turns on with a simple twist, and best of all it's a hands free system, allowing you to use both hands.

I prefer UK to PrincetonTec. Both are good brands, but the PrincetonTec light (tec400) has a wider, but difused beam of light. The UK lights have a much brighter concentrated beam. Plus, the are slimmer and fit in a BC pocket much easier. I have used the miniQ40 for a primary light on occassion (in a familiar and shallow dive) and it was just perfect. The UK version of the Tec400 is called the SL4, and it has a regular on and off switch, and is easy to hold.

Back
Top Bottom