DIve magazine vogue...have you ever noticed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
...that more times than not, for the model, the mask they choose to shoot for the cover is one of those antiquated oval masks from the 60's?

what up ?

what are some of your favorites?

I posted this here hoping maybe some of the pros could let us in on the subject :popcorn:

...that more times than not, for the model, the mask they choose to shoot for the cover is one of those antiquated oval masks from the 60's?

what up ?

They are easier (for the camera) to see into. Plain and simple.

They are usually white or clear skirted as well. This adds to the illusion of a "complete" and visible face.

it's tough to get a face to light up through a modern, low volume mask.

A couple of different examples. Easy to hard.

Fairly simple (even for this classic cinema still frame):
m_64e54f44bf53e6552fbacf38d0ae7d44.jpg

Tougher:
11186Dominique.jpg

Hardest:
Philippines_06_216.jpg

It's easy to lose the eyes:
P1010002.jpg

The tough thing is to have a model who knows when to quit breathing. It is fabulous when you have one that understands how the camera will see the image. The guy above with the Frog Fish (Jesse from Houston) is an absolute professional at modeling. That- and he doesn't really seem to breathe at all.

This is a great topic. I'm with doc on seeing the face. How about the brand of the mask? I dont' know about 40 years ago, but today everthing has a visible logo.

The great Carl Roessler was the king of the big mask. Usually his subjects wore a huge mask and fire engine red wetsuit. And the reefs were pristine. I'm not sure if he still uses those maskes.

Great illistration. I figured it must have something to do with the face being more visible. It just seems odd with all the marketing and "our product must go here" that they do that on the cover. Seems like that would be a great selling point for a cool mask....btw, does anyone know where I can get one of those cool vintage masks, with a clear skirt....I think they're pretty cool. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom