Dive Malta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any experience with SubwayScuba?
The first time I dived in Malta was with them. It was ok, and I would have no problem to dive with them again.

However, this year, I used www.underwaterworldmalta.com . It was even cheaper, the self catering apartments they can provide are much better, and I had a good DM. With him, I went mostly to dive sites I've had been before with Subway, but each time the dive was much better, even if it was February/March and not June.

HERE is the first of a set of reports of diving in Malta, with some of Gareth Locke's spectacular photography. I'm not even a wreck person, and his pictures make me want to go there!

Diving in Malta is fun and very easy. On this small island everything is near and within a few minutes by car (or our famous buses!). There are numerous dive site around the Maltese Islands, including several wrecks (natural, world war I and II, and scuttled vessels/artificial reefs). Moreover there are more than 35 diving centres so you will certainly find good offers. Regards to the marine life, myself being a scientific diver and biologist, I must admit that overfishing and pollution had their effects on the marine environment. However, I never rate my dives below 7 out of 10 and always manage to see something interesting underwater, being a rarely seen creature, particular animal behaviour, colourful organisms, or just the marvelous scenery you get in +40m visibility!

If you like to see some nice photographs visit/join facebook group: Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

Reccomended diving schools: Welcome to maltadiving.com, Padi diving courses and diving information. and Dawn Dives Malta,

Enjoy!

If you're still thinking of going to Malta, I suggest you should take the ferry or helicopter ride to Gozo, the small and charming island off the north of Malta. I dived in Gozo a few years ago and was really impressed with the scenery of the blue hole and cave of seahorses. I dived with St Andrews Diver's Cove but this was in 2004 so several years ago, but maybe they're still in business. The water there is crystal clear and a beautiful blue, great visibility. Lots of octopus, fireworms, tuna, groupers, barracuda...

Malta's got some nice wrecks & an interesting history. Just got back from there and went with dive deep blue. It was my second time with them and would recommend them for sure.

Daniel

Try Cresta Dive Centre in St. Julien's, Malta. The owners, Charlie (female) & Casey are first rate. The equipment they have is spot on, & their local knowledge is second to none. They take you to all of the wrecks & to Gozo. I would use them on every trip to Malta.

Ciao Ragazzi!,

Thanks all for keeping me posted since I made the OP. I'll for sure consider all your suggestions this summer when I return to Italy on vacation and take a week to go diving. Summer can't get here fast enough!

Cheers!
Rob

Since I saw this post, I will not make a thread myself.I have a question though:

Are the diving centers seasonal or you can go diving all year? What is the best period of time to go there?

Malta is an all year round dive resort. The Med climate is great, even in winter the temp can be as much as 17-18 degrees. British divers think this is tropical!!

Malta has little marine life (its the mediterranean) but has the best wreck diving in the Med by a long way in all types of depths. It also has clear water and in the summer is quite warm.
Not the scenic island on line although old Valletta is nice (the highest mountain is actually the landfill site!) but if you go there for wreck diving you won't be disappointed.
I like the unregulated freedom of diving too. No guides needed, rent a jeep, rent some cylinders and off you go. The sites are even sign posted.

It used to be very cheap but then went into the Euro and like every other country prices went up a lot overnight.

Its pretty much open all year but some centres do close for a month in January.

Back
Top Bottom