Dive Melbourne, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wipeout26

Reaction score
I will be in Melbourne, Australia on early Feburary and am thinking of doing some diving there. :eyebrow:

I'm a dive master and have been diving very extensively in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. I take underwater photo and very interested in macro as well as big fish. I guess what I am looking for is something that is special in Melbourne. I have heard that you will be able to see the weedy/leafy sea dragons and the seal. That's cool but where are the dive site that you would see the dragons and seal? Are there any other dive sites that you think is special and highly recommended? Also any Dive shop to recommend? :06:

For Weedy seadragons, check out Flinders Pier, in Flinders on the Mornington Penninsula. You are pretty much sure to see them there. As for Leafies, I don't think you will find them here in Victoria - you need to go to South Australia I think.

As for seals, there is a place called Seal Rocks on Phillip Island but I don't recommend it unless you don't mind big bitey things. Often on dives in Port Phillip Bay you will be joined by a seal. Check out www.divevictoria.com.au - they run dive boats out of Portsea which is where most of the boat dives leave from. They have an itinery on their website so you can see what dives are planned for when you are here.

HTH,
Mel

Plenty of weedys under portsea pier as well. Some great dives to be had in Port Phillip Bay if you don't mind colder waters :11ztongue

There are many dive shops in melbourne. For a comprehensive list and contact details of all of them check out www.underwater.com.au. Have fun in Melbourne.

Tim

Yep, contact Dive Victoria on the above link. They are good operators. If you want to see the seals go the pope's eye dive which is often followed by a snorkle with the seals at the seal platform. Don't miss the Lonsdale wall dives at the Port Phillip Bay heads, the J class submarines (4 to choose from) or the drift dive near the heads either.

Also note that the places you will need to go to are around 100kms out of Melbourne, and that the water is likely to be a lot colder than the places you have described so far! I dived there this weekend, and saw several weedy seadragons under Portsea Pier, in about 3-4m of water so ideal for photography.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom