Dive: Near Hilton Head, SC; You're invited!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Place: Beaufort, SC... Near Savannah, Georgia and Hilton Head Island

Dive: Betsy Ross, Liberty Class U.S. Navy warship... Sunk as an artificial reef in the '70's.

Conditions: Expect 60 degree water temps and calm currents. Expect 70 feet of vis. Max depth on this wreck is in the 80' range.

All sorts of divers will be welcome on this trip... DIR, technical, AOW, you name it. We are not a political group. Most people will want to make this a two-tank dive on air or Nitrox, but your profile is up to you. Nitrox is not available locally, so if you want it, bring it with you. Air fills are $5 a tank at a local shop. Rentals for whatever gear you don't have is no problem at the same location. Rental tanks (only AL80's are available) are $10 each. We are not affiliated with the dive shop, but we do a lot of business there.

Boat ride costs $70 per person. Anyone is welcome, including nondivers, who pay half price for the ride out there. There are a maximum of six divers on this boat, so it's very comfortable. Two seats are already taken, so there's four left.

Boat leaves in the morning between 7am and 8am, and we should be back by early afternoon.

More info on the boat and captain (who I've been out with several times and can't say enough positive things about) is available at http://www.LowcountryRaftingAdventures.com .

Email me at Seajay@LCscuba.com to let me know who's coming.

...and we'll be in the water both this weekend and next too. :) Let me know when you can come, and I'll see what I can do.

Spearguns? You know, I've been asked that before. :) The problem is that the Department of Natural Resources requires a charter boat to be licensed as a fishing vessel if there's any sort of fishing at all, and this charter is licensed for private dives, pleasure cruises, and other charter services. DNR's a real jerk about it, too.

So unfortunately, there is no fishing whatsoever on this particular boat... And that includes spearfishing.

Sorry.

We might be able to get a different charter, though, if you'd prefer. We can always work something out if you insist on spearfishing...

Thanks a lot. I usually hunt the coast of southern Fla or the panhandle. I've been looking to hook up with folks in that area that also enjoy spearfishing. Sure would be convenient since my work takes me to that area on a regular basis. It's a looong drive to Fla.
I've seen pictures of a 25lb hogfish taken off the coast near Charleston.
I'll be in the area next Fri and am currently trying to get a ride out on the Cooper River for Sat. Probably won't happen since I didn't give enough notice. If that doesn't work I'll get with you and see about going out with you next Sat.

Thanks,

Dave

Genesis is in the panhandle, and not only is a spearfisherman, but owns what appears to be quite "the" boat for diving. I suggest you contact him if you're looking for a partner. Seems like a nice guy, too.

Trying to get someone in Charleston to go diving this time a year is pretty tough stuff. They're real wusses here about water temperature, since it warms up so much in the summertime. I don't know of any Charleston dive boat that runs outside of the May through October season.

That said, if anyone would know, it would be Sally (the owner) at Charleston Scuba. http://www.charlestonscuba.com . Call her... They don't check email often. Tell her SeaJay said hello. :D

...And like you said, let me know if you want to do something here next weekend...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom