Dive Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eytokyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading to Honolulu for a wedding in September... and am trying to sneak in a day of diving... where are the best non-wreck dive sites? not a big fan of wreck diving but love walls, pinnacles and coral reefs... thanks in advance for your advice!

I have not seen many healthy walls, reefs, sea life off Oahu in any of the usual sites that dive operators go to. Mostly wrecks and purposely sunk wrecks. Oahu waters have clearly suffered from human impact. You can dive Oahu, but elsewhere in Hawaii the diving is better. Finally, I am sure someone will post a message disagreeing and pointing out a site here and there. But what I have seen is mostly wiped out coastline.

well yes i will disagree first of all most of the close reef was wiped out by the last hurricane. a fact that some people are not a ware of and many others have forgotten. but there is some awsome reef on the Island but most people dont know where it is cause they are stuck doing the same old dives day in and day out.those that do know where it is (myself included ) are not telling for many different reasons. the wall which is an awsome dive and your chances of seeing a monk sea is high. fantasy reef is a spectacular dive of awsome rock formations. plenty to see there. spitting cave is another. the problem with those dives is that sometimes the conditions are not the best. so you would have to check with the dive ops in that area. those dives are in the hawaii kai area. as for which dive ops to choose in that area i guess I would say.... (omg I cant believe im going to do this) Island divers is an option. havent heard anything but good things from people who have dove with them lately. so for those dives the best place to start your research would be with them. dont tell them I sent you. it would ruin my rep.

my choice is north shore. the dives up there are in protected areas and are great dives. for that you would want to contact charlie over at surf and sea. shes a great person to dive with and knows the dives (from what i have seen) and knows how to treat her divers. tell her marco sent ya.
there are some great shore dives all over the Island but like i said most people dont know the locations. as they are too busy doing the same old dives. hope I was able to help you.

um sorry forgot to mention scotti is a great guide up that way to but well charlie is better looking then scotti. scotti cant always find a razor. :rofl3: but all his reviews are good ones and i kind of know the guy. met him over a dive site :rofl3:

um sorry forgot to mention scotti is a great guide up that way to but well charlie is better looking then scotti. scotti cant always find a razor. :rofl3: but all his reviews are good ones and i kind of know the guy. met him over a dive site :rofl3:

Scotti can't find a razor? Oh sure, now you tell me. I'm signed up with him in July only to find out he can't find a razor.

Great. That's just great. Maybe it's not too late to stop payment on that check.

Wait a minute, I can't always find a razor either!!!

Never mind. :rofl3:

he is still a cool guy. and i would bet money your going to have a great time diving with him.and i dont say that about many people here on sb.

my choice is north shore. the dives up there are in protected areas and are great dives. for that you would want to contact charlie over at surf and sea. shes a great person to dive with and knows the dives (from what i have seen) and knows how to treat her divers. tell her marco sent ya.

*** Marco...who do you think taught Charlie everything she knows? I am only going to be gone on my Journey to the Center of the Trash voyage until mid August. ...and to think I posted a notice for everyone to give you support while you were in the hospital....never again.....:D

well being that i thought you were going to be gone at the time in question you should be thanking me that i bothered to even say anything but what ever. and im oh so sorry i didnt check your scedule didnt know that was my job. secondly I really dont need anybodies support when it comes to death attempting to punch my ticket having been shot three times and stabbed more times then i care to remember seems to me the grim one is the one needing help getting me out of here. thats what i get for trying to do your dive op a favor. what a mistake that was. which puts me at my two mistakes a year limit. and i can assure you that will not happen again.

um eytokyo there is also a very cool group in north shore the name of the dive op is "deep ecology" i have had the pleasure of diving with them at three tables which is a very cool dive you should give them a call. i really would hate for you to get caught up in some type of issues that seem to be going on over at surf and sea. here is their info:

66-456 Kamehameha Hwy
Haleiwa, HI 96712
(808) 737-2822

have a nice trip drew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom