Dive operator age limits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I ask what is usually required in an OWD course in the US?
The requirements for an OW course are defined by the agency of the instructor performing the instruction. For example, the PADI requirements for OW in the USA are the same as in Germany and in China.

Thanks Tursiops. I just signed one in the Bahamas. Just hadn’t heard it referred to by that acronym before. Is there a standard “doctors approval” form out there too?
Never mind. I just saw it at the end of the RSYC you sent. Thanks again.

I wonder though if Doc’s balk at signing these from a liability stand point even if the patient is in good shape?

I don't think any doctor in their right mind would sign a document certifying that you are fit to dive.....

What they will do is state that there is no reason they know of why you cannot dive!

My doctor letter states exactly and simply as follows:

To Whom it may concern.

__________________________ is under my care. He is in overall good health and has no known contraindications to participating in recreational scuba diving.

Please contact my office if you have any questions

I don't think any doctor in their right mind would sign a document certifying that you are fit to dive.....

What they will do is state that there is no reason they know of why you cannot dive!
That is why the Doctor's signature on the RSTC form is for a statement that says:
"Approved – I find no conditions that I consider incompatible with recreational scuba diving or freediving."

Haven't read all the replies so this may be redundant. The letter 'from a member' doesn't 'name and shame' anyone so there's no clue if it's in the Caribbean, Asia or elsewhere (letter is on page 12). I was happy to see in DANs response that they do not support this practice.

If anyone runs into a dive op that does this I hope they will post it so we will all know to avoid them. Roger just turned 70. It would be a disaster to travel to the other side of the world and discover the dive op turned him away. But I suspect this practice is more likely to happen in litigious societies like the US.

I was diving with an 86 year old women who is still swimming competitively (sprint) and is far more cognitively competent than most 86 year olds. AND I have been diving with people who look like they're one dive away from a hospital visit - in terrible shape. So much more than age needs to be taken into consideration.

Maybe the various “agencies” should require their shops to notify divers of age restrictions via websites, etc. to avoid people traveling half way around the world only to be told they are not welcome.

Maybe the various “agencies” should require their shops to notify divers of age restrictions via websites, etc. to avoid people traveling half way around the world only to be told they are not welcome.
Maybe I've missed it in the thread, but is there solid evidence that such things are happening? Lot of hearsay and concern, but is is actually happening?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom