Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95devils

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have just returned from my first dive trip after getting certified. Before we left, one of the items to fill out was a form from the dive operator. This form asked when we were certified (May), how many dives since certification (14, all in shallow quarries), and how deep we had gone (60 feet). During our dives, we had dove with mostly the same group of people who had roughly the same amounts of dives as us and were only open water certified. To make a long story short, I had been on 4 dives greater than 80 feet , 4 dives that were between 60 and 80 and 2 (same site) that were 50 feet. Is this common for the dive operators to NOT consider the experience a person has. I thought that this was reckless on their part. I would have backed out of these dives if I didn't think my buddy or myself could have done it safely but with the limited training that most of us had the situations could have been deadly.

j

This is what I understand:
* You were certified for 4 months (roughly) before your trip so your skills were fresh though new.
* You had completed 14 dives, 5 would be checkout dives and 9 would be for fun or additional training.
*Your deepest dive was 60 feet and I'm guessing it was in an Ohio quarry (I don't live too far from you)
*You were diving with a buddy you are familiar with

Where was your trip? I'm going to guess you went somewhere warm. Did you have to deal with a current on any of your dives?

Sounds like you were able to evaluate your ability and your buddy's ability to handle the situation at hand. Remember, you can always decline the dive or ask for something shallower if you're not comfortable with the dive plan.

Diving in warm, calm water without a current is easier than diving in a cold quarry. The first time I dove in warm water I was told the dive would be to 100 feet, my eyes were HUGE! I'd never been past 70 feet and I told my buddy I wasn't comfortable with the planned depth. We decided to level off where I was comfortable. We were diving a wall so we would be able to stay above the group and we told the DM of our plan so he knew where to look for us since it was a guided dive. We descended and my buddy motioned for me to level off, I wasn't sure why. He pointed to his depth gauge then gave the "level off" signal again. I looked at my depth gauge and we were at 90 feet and I hadn't even been nervous! I looked up and saw how clear the water above me was and thought "This isn't so bad!" and we proceded to join the group at 100 feet. That was my 35th dive.

Some dive operators push the 60 foot max depth for open water divers a little on easy dives. It doesn't sound like your operator was being unsafe, you'd be surprised at how much a DM knows about your ability and comfort level after watching you for a while on the surface.

PS--If you want to dive sometime, let me know!
Ber :bunny:

My 14 dives were all after certification and were in shallow quarries (40ft or less) in Ohio. The 60 ft dive was my last dive for certification, which was in Grand Cayman (feel so bad for me). I have only dove with one buddy, so they have the same experience as me. The dives were all boat dives in salt water in an area with mainly drift diving. The predive instruction consisted of the name of the reef, depth we would initially descend to, length of time at max depth, depth we would ascend to before the safety stop and how long the safety stop would be. The area that the deep dives were conducted also include short swim through caves that were well lit by sunlight. I could have opted to stay above the group with my buddy if I wished. I am responsible for myself and my buddy. The main question that I have though, is this common for a dive operator to do this? They had the paperwork with my qualifications that I filled out weeks in advance. I just want to know if this is the norm or not. I am not upset with the operator and had a great time, just want to know if this should be expected from now on.
On several dives, we had a couple that would share air because the fellow was built like a linebacker and would suck his tank down to the minimum for the dive then start on his wife's tank.

j

Every place I've been diving where the water was warm the operators did the same thing yours did. I've seen novice divers on those trips expand their experience envelope and I've seen them decide the dive was more than what they were comfortable doing. Sounds like you made an informed decision. Don't follow the example of the air hog, it's a good way to get someone hurt or worse. He should have asked if a larger tank was available.

Do you still dive in Ohio? If you're ever looking for a buddy shoot me a PM, maybe we can hook up.

I am confused, is the question whether it is normal for a dive operator to turn you loose to dive with your buddy?

The question is about dive operators doing dives outside the logged range of experience of their customers. An EXTREME example would be a dive operator taking an OW diver on a technical dive such as the Andrea Doria even though the diver filled out forms stating their experience level, max depth previously dove, etc.

Does that clear the vis a bit? :)

I guess I don't see that warm clear 100' is much different from cold dark and near 80'.

Most dive shops will ask you for your c-card, how many dives you have, and when you last dove. Then, it seems, some will listen to your answers and some will go into autopilot and not hear what you say or look at what you wrote. Hence, the rule of thumb: TELL THEM FACE TO FACE WHAT YOU FEEL SAFE WITH.

The real problem is that, when you are diving with a group of strangers, the experience level will be mixed. If there is only one DM, he/she has a problem: do I limit myself to what the rookies are comfortable with or do I go with the greybeards? The DM will usually do the latter for many, many reasons. So, you quietly take the DM aside and ask that he or she let you stay close and gain the benefit of his or her experience. Mainly, he/she will keep track of your air and make certain that you do not need to make a panic ascent. Of course, you need to do that, too!

I remember back in the Jurrasic Age when we did our first post-cert dives and the DM told us that we were going to do a tunnel. We were just not ready for that, so I told him. His response: no problem, just watch our bubbles as the leak through the coral and follow them. We did and I note with pleasure that his first act on emerging from the tunnel was to look for us!

Hope this helps,

Scorpionfish, once you have seen one, you won't need nightmares to lose sleep over!

I know what you mean, I'd much rather be cold, dark and 80'! But then again I'm a sick individual :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom