Dive Palancar Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocVikingo:
In my experience, Dive Palancar is professional & orderly with nice, well-equipped boats and a pleasant & well-trained staff. As the Occidental Grande/Allegro are situated well south & close to many of the best dives, rides are short & you usually return to shore for SI.

However, it is a high volume op & does serve a mixed crowd, including lots of newbies, and tightly scheduled, regimented, "lowest common denominator" diving indeed can & does occur on occasion.

Also, it is not quite accurate that they allow divers to select which site the boat will go to (i.e., no fixed schedule). Unless special arrangements are made in advance, they will not take you to the far northern (e.g., Barracuda, San Juan), far southern (e.g., Maracaibo Deep) or eastern (e.g., El Islote) sites. Even among the closer sites, they will not take you to places like Garganta del Diablo unless the divers on the boat clearly have the skills for it. Outside of this, yes, the group vote will give you access to the customary sites provided that site conditons & crew mood also are copacetic.

In short, I recommend Dive Palancar to the new to intermediate level diver or the a first timer to Coz, but not to the advanced diver seeking the island's most challenging sites and/or extreme diver freedom.

Have fun.

DocVikingo
My wife and I stayed at the Allegro last year and we've made our reservations to stay there again this year. They are IMO a great dive shop. However, my wife and I are inexperienced divers so I could see experienced divers wanting more. That leads me to the purpose of this post. Eventhough the normal 9:00/10:15 and 2:00/3:15 dives head to the local sites (Yucab, Santa Rosa Wall, San Fran, etc) DP is always planning more exotic trips to places like Maricaibo. All you have to do is go to the shop and ask. It appears that if there aren't enough interested folks the trips don't happen, but they always seemed to be booking some "exotic" site trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom