Question What Dive Op to use in Cozumel for a newer diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
A

alexthsong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be going to Cozumel sometime around June, at which point I will have taken a nitrox course, and weather permitting, I will have my Advanced Open Water certification. My question is which dive shop I should choose. I would prefer something more personal (no cattle boats), and be able to dive my computer (From what I've been told I have fairly decent air management at depth). From looking at other threads it seems Scuba Tony, Aldora, Tres Pelicanos, Dive Palancar, and Blue Angel seem popular.

Edit: I'm also looking at buying and bringing my own gear, so rinse stations are a must.

Aldora takes noobs, IIRC.

But for now, I still would prefer my resort and dive op to be the same entity. Like BA or SCC.

But I think you can hit the morning dives, and the afternoon twilight dives there. 4 tanks a day.

Big Aldora fan. Been diving with them every year, 2 weeks a year for 20 years. Aldora has 7 boats and groups people by gas type and air consumption. They have big 120cf tanks for men and 100CF for women. We has several 100+ min dives with them this year (80 - 90+ min are normal on my boat).
That being said, Dive with Martin offers free gear rental. They have multiple boats (8 pas). Have good reputation. Not on your list but should be.
The rest of your list is good except for dive Palancar. They run big boats.
Pick one of those and you will be happy. Lots of cheerleading for favorite dive op.

But their boats do seem nice, tank clips won't pinch my wing.

View attachment 820611

I've been there a few times, dived whatever the cruise line sent us.

I think every boat we got on, had +1 divers or snorkelers that were left behind in the water. Don't count on your captain being able to count.

Having after hours shore diving available at the resort, is a must have on my next trip.

One 2 tank boat, just ain't enough for me.
Your experience with cruise ship dive ops is amazing! I have been diving with cruise ship and outside vendor dive ops for 14 years, and none of those dive ops have ever left a diver or snorkeler behind on my trips. Obviously, history has shown divers can, and are, occasionally left behind, but you have had an unbelievable string of incompetent dive boat captains and crew.

No, no, we were the ones that picked up the extras.

But I think, same company lost 'em. I didn't say anything, but everyone sure was quiet on the way back.

I really like that CZM doesn't harrass me about remaining air, or when I last dived. So some cavalier attitude is preferred.

But being within sight of land was nice.

The OP's question was for dive op recommendations for a new diver
I have many dives scheduled in between now and when I will be there, and I should have my AOW by then (fingers crossed). However, I still wouldn't consider myself an "advanced diver". More of a just "not a total beginner"

I agree, but I would rather not be with little timmy on his first open water dive (or at least be able to dive longer than 20 mins) I said I think I would be more experienced than a complete beginner.
Good dive ops will observe you in the water column and then group you with other divers that demonstrate similar diving skills. You might be surprised by how many times "little timmy" ends up being the better diver than someone with a bunch of cards in their wallet.

We dove with DWM for many years before we followed several of their DMs who opened their own shop - Sharkys. They will also loan you gear (for free), have better SIs, fast boats and great DMs. Tres Pelicanos is also an excellent op and tends to attract more experienced divers.

I have many dives scheduled in between now and when I will be there, and I should have my AOW by then (fingers crossed). However, I still wouldn't consider myself an "advanced diver". More of a just "not a total beginner"
I was just referring to the title you gave the thread. BTW, I have been on boats with freshly certed divers many times and it rarely made any difference to my dives.

No, no, we were the ones that picked up the extras.

But I think, same company lost 'em. I didn't say anything, but everyone sure was quiet on the way back.

I really like that CZM doesn't harrass me about remaining air, or when I last dived. So some cavalier attitude is preferred.

But being within sight of land was nice.
what is "CZM"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom