Dive Paradise & Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divenut2001

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK! I'm finally going to Cozumel for the first time in Jan 2005. I'll be traveling with a group of about 50 (yikes) and will be staying at the Hotel Cozumel and diving with Dive Paradise (all inclusive). Anybody that has stayed at this hotel and/or dived with this operation recently have any tips, comments or suggestions? Thanks!!!

I did a week with Dive Paradise back in January: 2-tanks AM, 1-tank PM on large boats. No problems or complaints. They are the largest dive op on the island and have a lot of boats & DM's, so they are never at a loss because of mechanical or personnel problems. Needless to say, it was a very mixed bag of divers.

I've been to Hotel Cozumel (aka numerous other names) for 3 years in a row and this coming Jan. will likely make it 4. Our group had about 70 divers this past Jan. The hotel is very good. The meals tend to get a bit repetitive toward the end of the week, but still decent. We use Aqua Safari but some of our group went out with Dive Paradise for some extra diving and found them to be excellent.

Both the hotel and the dive op are very convenient. You can rent a locker dockside. There are showers and rinse tanks, as well. Shore diving isn't bad, either - often many surprises in the relative shallows (20 - 30 ft). When in january are you going? We'll be there either the week of the 8th or 15th.
Enjoy

divenut2001:
OK! I'm finally going to Cozumel for the first time in Jan 2005. I'll be traveling with a group of about 50 (yikes) and will be staying at the Hotel Cozumel and diving with Dive Paradise (all inclusive). Anybody that has stayed at this hotel and/or dived with this operation recently have any tips, comments or suggestions? Thanks!!!

To each is own. But can you say cattle boat?

I'm not saying it's a bad operation, just not my style. Your bottom times will be short (35 to 40 minutes), your surface intervals will be short (40 to 45 minutes), and your boat rides will be looong and crowded. You won't get to dive any of the further out or "special" sites unless you are lucky enough to get on one of the fast EDG boats (costs extra).

I guess if you're with 50 of your closest friends you'll be fine. Just don't set your expectations very high regarding the dive operation, and you'll have a good time.

Dive Paradise is great....used their services in March...great DM's....nice boats...very customer service oriented.

Apple..the owner ...is great!

We did the fast boats for the am dives...and the cattle boats for the afternoon. Did a couple of night dives and a cock-a-doodle....was very happy.

I love Dive Paradise and was with the owner yesterday at Sea Space.

She gave my small group of 7 our own huge boat that would have taken 22 divers.
That's not a cattle operation to me.

I have used them several times in the past and have always been happy. I've always liked all of her staff and have found them to go the extra mile if needed.

Bottom times were as long as possible. We were allowed to either send the first diver that hit 700 up, while the rest of us stayed down, or go up together as a group.

We were at Hotel Cozumel in April but used Dive with Martin. They picked us up 1/2 hour before the Dive Paradise boats went out. Their boats were very fast and we were in the water shortly after 8 am, and back on the dock by 11:30 before the crowds returned. For dinner, splurge on the extra $10 or so above the all-inclusive menu for the lobster or shrimp.Our room was basic, and was missing its hair dryer and ice bucket, and we had no phone service. It's Mexico, what do you want? We were traveling with a group of nine divers, and three of us were very sick on the last day traveling home. Stay away from the sushi on the dinner buffet and use common sense on Mexican Fiesta night. We saw them setting out the hot trays of food around 4 pm and dinner wasn't until 7. We plan on trying a different hotel the next time.

I was at Hotel Cozumel in March and dove for a week with Dive Paradise. Ask for Gato, Eric, and Mike (from Texas). We had a great time. We had about 20 divers in the group, many of whom had been there before and were familiar with the dive masters. Our dives typically lasted 55-60 mins. We were never rushed. It was great. The hotel was fine but don't count on getting a locker. They were few and far between when I was there. But it wasn't such a big deal to carry it back to my room each night. Food at the hotel - okay, nothing to write home about. The location is great though and they have a lovely pool. Watch out for rooms facing the pool. They put on shows at night which can go a bit late if you are up early to get on a boat.

Happy diving!

You are going to have a great time, and will probably be on a cattle boat as so many call them. You will be with friends, have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom