Dive Paradise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigtank1958

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We booked a trip to Coz for mid Feb, the dive op affiliated with the resort is Dive Paradise. I've never dove with them. In the past we've used Deep Blue & DWM. Thoughts or experiences with Dive Paradise would be appreciated.

I've used them a lot on 17 trips to Cozumel over 11+ years. Biggest operator on the island from what I've heard for many years, don't know if they measure that by boats or divers carried or what, but they have people and equipment all over the place. I think they're a very solid operator that pays attention to safety and have very good divemasters and crew that have been with them for years. Big boats if you want 'em, small fast boats too. They're not real big on creature comforts, just as an example their small boats don't have shade canopies and they don't serve snacks in between dives although they will give you a soda or a bottle of water. There are other good operators on the island and you'll get about as many opinions as there are divers on which is best. But again for my money you can't go wrong with this bunch, which is why they've been my primary operator for over a decade now. Have fun!

I have only been diving with Dive Paradise once, 5 years ago in July, 2012, during a Scuba Board Cozumel Invasion. I agree that they are certainly competent operators, safe, with perfectly adequate DMs (at least when I dove with them). I won't say anything bad about them, other than they are not my cup of tea. Too much a "by the numbers" dive op - first dive, 80', 45 minutes, 45-50 minute SI on the boat, second dive, 60', 40 minutes, back to the pier. IMO, they are more concerned with keeping a schedule than with providing great dives. My personal preference is Aldora, because of (not necessarily in order of importance): (1) HP Steel 120 tanks, which not only give you 50% more air and extraordinary bottom times, but also, IMO, much better bouyancy characteristics than Aluminum tanks (they don't go positive at 500-700 psi, making you fight to stay down on the safety stop unless you overweight at the beginning), (2) long bottom times and a long SI at a beach club, and (3) super DMs. I have also done a number of dives with Dive with Martin, on multiple group dive trips, and they are, IMO, an excellent low cost, no-frills Dive Op. I would personally opt for either Aldora or DWM in preference to Dive Paradise, but that's just my opinion. It really depends on what exactly you are looking for. If the convenience of an on-site dive op with a schedule that permits a two-tank dive in the morning plus an afternoon dive appeals to you, and a "by the numbers" dive schedule doesn't bother you, Dive Paradise may suit you fine.

As mentioned the small fast boats do not have any shade & in general you do your SI while floating out on the water. I have dove with them a few times over the years using the fast boats both because of the convenience of adding a day or 2 of diving when they are making a trip to the north. They aren't my usual go to shop but I know many of the staff who work at Hotel Cozumel & they do sometimes mention special trips. If it's Hotel Cozumel you'll be at you have many options because the pier is available to all the other ops who bring boats to town to pick up customers. One plus for Dive Paradise is that if you book a package of 2 tank morning trips you can add on afternoon dives at a very good price but most will be at Paradise Reef which can get old after a few consecutive days of it.

Your first task is to identify your boat preferences - big slow boat with a dozen or more divers versus a small fast boat with 4-8 divers. There are pros and cons to both. There have been recent threads discussing this.

Your next task is to identify your price point. Trip rates can range from $65 to $115. You may or may not get better service and amenities for the higher prices. You *can* get good service at a low price. But you have to figure out what you want and need. Going with the house op offers a few advantages but not the deciding factor, imo.

One plus for Dive Paradise is that if you book a package of 2 tank morning trips you can add on afternoon dives at a very good price but most will be at Paradise Reef which can get old after a few consecutive days of it.

Blasphemy! If only I could be sentenced to diving Paradise every afternoon for the rest of my life...

Your first task is to identify your boat preferences - big slow boat with a dozen or more divers versus a small fast boat with 4-8 divers. There are pros and cons to both. There have been recent threads discussing this.

Your next task is to identify your price point. Trip rates can range from $65 to $115. You may or may not get better service and amenities for the higher prices. You *can* get good service at a low price. But you have to figure out what you want and need. Going with the house op offers a few advantages but not the deciding factor, imo.

We like small fast boats, shops that are on time and go to shore for SI.

DP has small fast boats, run like clockwork, not sure if they do beach SI.

DWM has small fast boats, on time in my experience, but have floated for SI.

Look into Tres Pelicanos, Blue XT Sea, or Aldora. They all have small fast boats, have been timely in my experience, and usually go to beach club for SI.

I dive with a private DM I have been friends with for 20+ years, it's by far the best experience.

We have used them many times.

I have always wanted to try out other operators, but haven't done so because we know, and like, a few of the DM's a lot.

Back
Top Bottom