Dive Report: 10/14 East Pinnacle, Stillwater Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hinalo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After toughing it out Saturday in the Red Tide at BW, my buddy Anne and I were delighted to head to Carmel Sunday on Monterey Express.

Our first stop was East Pinnacle (Escapade and another boat were already on the other two when we got there). No current, no wind, glassy water with about a 4' swell, and bright sunshine. Things were looking great.

We dropped onto the west side of the pinnacle. Vis was OK at about 25' (compared to Saturday), water temp was 54 degrees. We headed north up through a crevasse in the Pinnacle following the anchor line (checked out the anchor footing which looked like it was going nowhere) and headed down the east side to about 85'. As usual, the walls were covered with corynactus, orange sponges, Telia anemones, and an explosion of various life forms crowding each other for space. We swam over a small Ling cod sitting on a ledge, and cruised through kelp forests, big fissures and snooped beneath the overhangs as though it was a big amusement park attraction. Finally, we circled back around counter clockwise through another fissure to the west side and made our ascent along the wall.

After the short trip in to Stillwater Cove, Capt Tim announced that we had arrived at what he called "Caverns" and that there was an arch to swim through about 70 meters north of where we anchored, just between Pescadero point and Fire Rock at the mouth of the cove. There was a lot of kelp, both bull kelp and giant kelp, and we decided to just drop in a clear area and head north. Vis was about the same, maybe a little better, temp was 52 degrees. We found the bottom at 50' and worked our way up through a series of rock canyons and notches all covered with corynactus and sponges, with some hydro coral. I was really looking for Nudis but didn't see any. We navigated through a series of bright, then dark areas, corresponding with the variations in the kelp canopy, and dropped into a deeper, large round chamber-like depression in the bottom. It felt nice to have a space to explore when suddenly, out of the corner of my left eye, I saw a streak of grey. It was a large seal, about 5-6 feet end to end and big and fat. He circled around in front of me and stopped about two feet from my mask. We were hovering motionless like that for about 3 seconds, face to face, and then he sped off doing barrel rolls off to the south and out of view through a rocky notch. I looked around at Anne and her eyes were very large.

We hit our turn pressure without finding the swim-through but didn't feel cheated. We cruised back toward the boat, finally locating a wall that dropped off to the south into deeper water and decided to ascend into a clear area free of kelp. Another diver was already doing his safety stop in the water column as we came up. We hit the surface, saw that we were about 30 meters off the stern of the boat, dropped back under the kelp and came up at the swim step. Once on the boat we looked around and saw Cypress Sea about 300 yards to NE just putting divers in the water.

On the return leg, as soon as we were underway the fog came in and everything turned grey and cold. We felt super lucky to have hit such bright sunshine which had brought out the colors on the rock faces and shot sunbeams filtering down through the kelp. Near Pt Pinos we slowed to let a pod of dolphins pass and saw sea lions fighting for space on the corner bouy.

Sounds like a great dive on the 2nd day - especially with the seal encounter! :D The red tide was really bad on the 6th off the coast of Moss Beach. Makes for pretty unappealling water.

Is that what that brown stuff was at Breakwater?

Is that what that brown stuff was at Breakwater?

Yeah. It was so murky at BW Sat you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Down about 20 feet and it opened up to about 8 feet, but it was so dark and brown it was like a night dive. At least the tube anemones were pretty and we saw a large jelly with short, purple tentacles pulsing along the bottom. Anne and I had our lights on the whole time and treated it like a night dive. At one point when we were heading east toward the wall at the beginning of our dive we encountered two other divers on their way in. We only could see their ghostly lights as they were on a course to intersect our path. Definitely one of my weirder dives.

My buddy and I didn't go diving because the vis from the surface looked bad...After asking a few people, it didn't seem worth diving that day with reports of 1-3 feet descending and maybe 10-15 feet about 20 feet under the red tide. I had meant to check out Monastery to see what the conditions were like. Did anyone dive Monastery?

Later Saturday we went around to Lovers and it looked great. We were sorry we didn't go there instead.

Man... I had totally forgot about Lover's Point. The restrictions aren't in place this time of the year either...Oh well, next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom