Dive Report for Panhandle Spearfishing Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair 'nough.

I just mentioned it because you mentioned getting a powerhead after seeing a sharkeye up close. Thats not something a person with lots of shark experience would say, IMO. I think after a couple hundred dives, spearfishing, that ends up being pretty much par for course.

Okay, I just never tried one. But then again, some people don't eat Sheephead and I like them.

I do. Spade is good, and very abundant down there. I will shoot or catch a Spade any chance I get. They are very easy to filet, and the bloodlines sit right on top of the meat, and shave off very easy if you don't like that stuff.

Sheephead are every bit as good as snapper :)

Okay, I just never tried one. But then again, some people don't eat Sheephead and I like them.

Glen, I didn't mean to come off as offended if that's what you were implying. Here are some pictures of the fish we grilled tonight. if you look on the bottom right side, you'll see the Spadefish filet. I know Hetland mentioned in a post that he grills Trigger with the skin still on. I treat Spadefish the same way - when it's done, it'll slide right off the skin, and it tastes rather good. We let the fish soak in a pan with the secret sauce for about 30 minutes before grilling. It turned out great, and makes me want to get back down there before Snapper season is over!

Attachments

• grilled fish.jpg
    grilled fish.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 53
  • marinade.jpg
    marinade.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 49
No...I wasn't offended at all. But.....if I say I was will you cook some of that fish next time you come to Florida??:D

I just never heard of eating Spade fish. Sometimes on dives we are surrounded by schools of them. I might have to reach out and grab one next time and give them a try. Next time you come down let me know, maybe we can go chase some Spade fish.

Glen, I didn't mean to come off as offended if that's what you were implying. Here are some pictures of the fish we grilled tonight. if you look on the bottom right side, you'll see the Spadefish filet. I know Hetland mentioned in a post that he grills Trigger with the skin still on. I treat Spadefish the same way - when it's done, it'll slide right off the skin, and it tastes rather good. We let the fish soak in a pan with the secret sauce for about 30 minutes before grilling. It turned out great, and makes me want to get back down there before Snapper season is over!

No...I wasn't offended at all. But.....if I say I was will you cook some of that fish next time you come to Florida??:D

I just never heard of eating Spade fish. Sometimes on dives we are surrounded by schools of them. I might have to reach out and grab one next time and give them a try. Next time you come down let me know, maybe we can go chase some Spade fish.

Haha, we might be able to work something out then. They are beautiful fish, and fun to watch, but I won't pass up knocking a big one down if I see it. I'm always happy to cook for anyone willing to try it out!

I've given sushi and sashimi an honest try... I preffer my fish cooked!

I second the above motion. Sushi is good, but I like the touristy stuff that's not really Sushi (with all the fried cream cheese and crispies, and whatnots). :D

I love sushi...when you roll it in some Zataran's and then drop it in some hot oil.....oh yeah, I love sushi.

I've given sushi and sashimi an honest try... I preffer my fish cooked!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom