Dive report: Gerstle Cove 10/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, beautiful photos and video, can't wait to try to get to Gerstle.
When you camp, how do you do it? Do you bring 4 tanks or is there somewhere to get a fill after a day of diving?

We usually bring all the tanks we plan to use. Bodega Bay Pro Dive has air fills and they are about 40 minutes south, but their air tastes like compressor oil so I don't go there anymore.

Thanks for the info, ZKY, it's good to know what to expect. I love to camp (with others, terrified of camping alone) and I am totally looking forward to the opportunity to come and camp and dive with the NorCal Dive group. Keeping my eyes on the bulletin board for next chance.

their air tastes like compressor oil so I don't go there anymore.

Bummer. I have one of their air cards with about 8 fills remaining...

You still haven't used the YS-110 I sold you? :confused:

No and I can't beleive it either! :shocked2: I finally got an arm for it but now I need a tray and sync cable for my P&S and I keep forgetting to stop by Backscatter on a Sat when I'm done in Monterey. I usually remember on Sun and then they're closed. :depressed:

Thanks for the info, ZKY, it's good to know what to expect. I love to camp (with others, terrified of camping alone) and I am totally looking forward to the opportunity to come and camp and dive with the NorCal Dive group. Keeping my eyes on the bulletin board for next chance.

I'm really looking forward to the next campout too! Let me know if you ever want to dive the North Coast before then though. I live close and would love to meet and dive with you.

No and I can't beleive it either! :shocked2: I finally got an arm for it but now I need a tray and sync cable for my P&S and I keep forgetting to stop by Backscatter on a Sat when I'm done in Monterey. I usually remember on Sun and then they're closed. :depressed:

I have a dual tray you can borrow in the mean time. :eyebrow: You down in Monterey on Saturday? Or I could give it to Matt if the boats out this weekend.

I've been told that when abalone twist their shells, they do that to try to cut another abalone that may be next to them. Something to do with competing for food. I've seen it several times, often when there are several abs on one rock. I have also seen it on some abs taken to the surface.

Jeff, I think that Lingcod might be this individual at 4:25
20091010 Gerstle Cove on Vimeo
YouTube - Tao & a monster lingcod at Gerstle Cove Marine Reserve

Great video! It looks like you guys certainly had some fantastic conditions up in the North Coast! That's just the kind of thing I need to see more of to tempt me back there :wink:

I have a dual tray you can borrow in the mean time. :eyebrow: You down in Monterey on Saturday? Or I could give it to Matt if the boats out this weekend.

Thank you so much for offer Royston but I won't be out on the boat again until the 24th and I should have one by then. I'll post pics as soon as I get to use it. :D

Back
Top Bottom