Dive Report May 21st, 2011 Canoe Beach Nahant, MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Me and a buddy decided to dive Canoe Beach in Nahant, MA today for a little end of the world / pre-rapture diving. Conditions were excellent, the water was as smooth as glass though very foggy at one point. If you're familiar with Canoe Beach you can usually always see out to Egg Rock however it was almost entirely obscured by fog today.

The first dive was 50 minutes with a max depth 26ft. We stayed mostly in the cove on the left side. I managed to get one nice sized lobster and a couple very good sized flounders. Lots of shorts on this dive but there were good amount of lobster to be seen.

When we surfaced to take another heading for the shore, we could hardly see the beach at all due to the amount of fog that had rolled in. No problems though.

The second dive was much deeper, 38ft max depth for about 35 minutes. I managed to grab another flounder but no lobsters this time. I'm sure if I had stayed in a bit longer I could have gotten a few more. I saw at least two that I'm pretty sure were legal but they were way back in a hole and no amount of coaxing was going to help.

Saw at least 6 legal sized flounder. I didn't have a spear so I was just capturing them by making them swim into my catch bag; I was afraid of losing the rest of catch so didn't try too hard to get the others.

Highlight of the dive was a seeing a medium sized wolf fish before we turned to head back into shore. I wish I had brought my camera but I stupidly left it in the car.

Great to hear the bugs are coming in. I would love to try the coaxing flounder into the catch bag thing, I am jealous - working this weekend, so no diving!

Bob

Great to hear the bugs are coming in. I would love to try the coaxing flounder into the catch bag thing, I am jealous - working this weekend, so no diving!

Bob

It's actually surprisingly easy as long as you don't scare the flounder; I prefer it to carrying a spear. One less thing I need to carry. Open catch bag and slowly put it directly in front of the flounder's face. Try to get the bag as close to the flounder as possible. Gently tap the flounder and they will usually always swim forward directly into your catch bag.

The trick is keeping the flounder in the bag when it's filled with lobsters and other flounders. Bring multiple catch bags. :)

Nice. I've been trying to get in the water for weeks now, either the weather's been lousy or no time to go. I'm gonna try for an afternnoon dive this week. Good to know there's a good chance to catch some bugs and flounder. I use the same method for catching flounder, can't be bothered with a spear.
What was the vis and temp?

Sorry I didn't realize I forgot to include visibility and temp. The temperature my computer recorded was 54f but my computer seems to always read a few degrees higher so I'd say it was probably 52-53f. My estimate for visibility was about 10-15' feet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom