Dive Report (no pics, sorry) - McAbee Beach - 7/16/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkyaffe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I drove down from SF this AM and made it to Bamboo Reef Monterey at 830am. Their morning weekend staff is always endearingly bleary/hungover in the morning. We commiserated over the ungodly hour of the morning for a weekend and a few minutes later, a tank of ean33 and ean21 (they only had one nitrox tank left...) and weights were in my car and I made the 2min trek to McAbee Beach to meet Norbs007 at 9a. The streets were pleasantly empty and the new parking meters take Visa... $3 for 2h and allow you to re-up between dives.

Water was absolutely glassy.

Our first dive was out to the right and circled a few kelp beds at about 25'. Viz was the best I've seen... about 30' with no crill or other fishpoop-like floaties. No surge. Highlight of the dive was seeing a juvenile harbor seal chasing his breakfast... which led him through a rock constriction in which he got jammed. He looked pretty embarrassed, backed out after a few seconds and went on his way, checking us out every few minutes and poking Norbs in the fin once. (48min, 26ft, 54deg)

Surface interval for just under an hour with Norbert's family by the cars and then back to it.

Dive 2 we made entry mid-beach and took a bearing on the smokestacks across the bay (0 deg mag). We swam out to the thick band of kelp and dropped in about 25 fsw. Viz was back to normal... buddy was getting fuzzy at 15'. We kept our bearing and poked around rocks to 52 fsw near the far end of the major kelp band. Lots of fun crabs, rock fish, a couple of lings and about a hundred feet of some pretty old 8" chain (laying due north/south at about 35 fsw). (43min, 52ft, 52deg)

Back to the cars to see Norbert off for his daughter's birthday lunch. I returned the tanks and headed back to SF.

-Ben

We hit Lovers on Saturday. Glassy was right. There wasn't even surf lapping at the beach. I have never seen things so still. And then there was barely any surge. It was a great day, and I do have pics. :D

That's a great report Ben! I really enjoyed our dives and right on being one of the best viz out there. Another highlight to add was the big beautiful blue fish we passed going through the kelp. I admit that being out for a while and first time at McAbee I took it easy on our first dive and just swam around that one area. Our second dive was great! You led and navigated the dive well, if we had time I pretty much have enough juice to do a third dive :)

It was great meeting you and looking forward to future dives, be safe...

That's a great report Ben! I really enjoyed our dives and right on being one of the best viz out there. Another highlight to add was the big beautiful blue fish we passed going through the kelp. I admit that being out for a while and first time at McAbee I took it easy on our first dive and just swam around that one area. Our second dive was great! You led and navigated the dive well, if we had time I pretty much have enough juice to do a third dive :)

It was great meeting you and looking forward to future dives, be safe...

Good Report. Thanks.

I am thinking about doing McAbee. What is the parking situation there?
Can you park in the El Tarito lot? What are the regulations regarding disrobing (i.e. putting on/taking off wetsuits) in the parking lot?

If you eat lunch at the El Torito restaurant the parking is free, but you have to get it signed off inside. Of course as Ben posted you can now pay by visa for the street parking in two hour increments for $3. Disrobing? Wetsuit? I would recommend changing under a towel as I have done there many times before. So far no one has thrown up their lunch :eyebrow:

If you eat lunch at the El Torito restaurant the parking is free, but you have to get it signed off inside. Of course as Ben posted you can now pay by visa for the street parking in two hour increments for $3.

Last weekend the parking fee was $15 at about 11a and there was no discount for eating at the resto. I get the sense that the policy changes based on who's working. But in-and-out privs if you need to run to Bamboo Reef's "loading zone" spot for fills (or your buddy forgot gloves...). Plenty of space in the lot... we put a tarp next to the car and laid out gear there. Next time we're gonna back in and leave a few feet behind the car so we're not playing in traffic so much.

Thanks for the update. I don't think I will be diving there anytime soon. For that price I can launch out of Point Lobos, or most anywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom