Dive Report Pensacola Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We made it to Scuba Shack in time to drop off gear and sign liability releases on Friday afternoon. Then we joined folks for a great dinner at Zia’s Restaurant. The food and service were outstanding as usual and the peach crumb dessert is absolutely sinful. In addition to our usual suspects, Gilless joined us on this trip. It was a pleasure meeting and diving with him.

After dinner we joined Scuba board folks out at the beach and just socialized and had a drink with them. The night dive was cancelled because of high surf and they were already well on their way to partying the night away.

We retired early after watching the weather channel and were quite anxious that we would not get to go out Saturday morning. Six o’clock came very early but we were elated that the seas had calmed some and we could head to the Oriskany. We had maybe three to five foot seas on the way out. Our bumpy ride was well worth being the first boat to anchor.

We began our first dive with a moderate surface current. Water was murky on the way down but visibility opened at depth and we enjoyed a fantastic dive. The marine life was superb and the old lady sublime on the second anniversary of her sinking.

We spent most of the dive on the down current side of the island. We looked at the escalator and worked our way up. The barracuda were funny, stacked up in their own pecking order. We got thirty-seven minutes with a max depth of 139 feet.

During the surface interval we enjoyed hot dogs and conversation. The seas calmed dramatically but we could count eight boats now.

On the second dive we easily found the octopus. She must not have eggs yet because there were no arrow crabs hanging about in hopes of a taste. The wreck became crowded quickly and some of the divers had little courtesy or maybe little skill. They crashed and thrashed about and one young fellow with a quacker almost had it inserted. Why can’t folks learn early that peace and quiet is sublime and leave it at that? Our max depth was 110 feet for 51 minutes. We enjoyed strawberry O with shortcake ice cream on the way in.

The long day on the boat and rough seas in the morning left us tired. We had dinner at Zia’s again and hit the sack early.

Sunday we were off with another early start. We sailed to the Pete Tide II on really calm seas. There was a pea-green layer between the surface and 50 or so feet but visibility opened up to about thirty feet on the wreck. We went around the stern on the sand and saw several deer cowry, a nudibranch, and a sulky old batfish. We ascended to the wheelhouse and found the grandest surprise. There is a pipe sticking up with around 25 to 30 blennies. We called it the Blenny Condo. These little critters were put on Earth for the sole purpose of making us laugh. Just sitting and watching their antics is a wonderful experience in itself. Our dive was 49 minutes with max depth of 105 feet.

The radar showed lot of boats on the San Pablo so we started toward another site when some of the boats left. We anchored on the large wreck north of the boilers. The visibility was the same here as the previous dive. We looked along the wreckage and marveled at the fantastic variety and sheer number of inhabitants. We found several nice lures and ran into one mondo flounder. MM wouldn’t let me juge him with my knife so we went on our way and left him to live another day. I could do dozens of dives on this wonderful wreck and never see it all. She was a 315 foot long refrigerator ship in her heyday and today her wreckage hosts a magnificent variety of creatures. Max depth was 85 feet with 59 minutes bottom time. Water temperature on all dives was about 72 degrees on the surface and 70 at depth.

The weather turned really sour while we were on this dive. The anchor rope bounced wildly and the ride in proved rough. We sailed against the wind but the piña colada ice cream made it worthwhile. Watching them dip the ice cream in four to five foot seas was a comedy in itself. We had pizza waiting on the pier.

Although we were very tired, we thank the staff at Scuba Shack once again for a fantastic bunch of dives and a fabulous weekend.

Scuba Shack is a great dive op, and I really like the Wet Dream as far as boats go. However, piling 26 divers on was a few too many. Particularly with dry suits, a few good (read: huge) camera set-ups and some actual luggage (grrr). Stowing tanks in dry storage where coolers/bags/dry boxes could go only makes it worse.

I love diving the Oriskany and always go out with Scuba Shack (and Smedley's group.) It just seemed much more crowded this time. Getting around the boat and in or out of the water was like Tetris. For two days.

We got thirty-seven minutes with a max depth of 139 feet.

Our max depth was 110 feet for 51 minutes.

Our dive was 49 minutes with max depth of 105 feet.

Max depth was 85 feet with 59 minutes bottom time.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your tank set-up?

I saw you and Rick Murchison on the Wet Dream on the Oriskany. I was diving on the same boat as Denisegg. I was cool to put a face to those posts I have read in the past. Sounds like you had a great weekend, I wished I could have made it out both Saturday and Sunday but plans prevented it. Maybe I will join you guys on a dive this summer.

I used a Worthington 100 cu ft steel with 28 percent nitrox on the first dive and 32 percent on the second. and Sunday I used the same tanks with 32 percent nitrox.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your tank set-up?

It's always nice running into scubaboarders. They're amongst the highest quality folks on Earth. I just need to find out Denise's energy drink secret.

I saw you and Rick Murchison on the Wet Dream on the Oriskany. I was diving on the same boat as Denisegg. I was cool to put a face to those posts I have read in the past. Sounds like you had a great weekend, I wished I could have made it out both Saturday and Sunday but plans prevented it. Maybe I will join you guys on a dive this summer.

I enjoyed every minute of it, rough ride or not. The only bad part was having to come home. What a great crew, Gene, Gary, Kathy and Rhonda were fun as always.

'Twas a joy to be able to dive with the Lovely Young Kat & no students to look after for a change :)
Our first dive on the O-Boat took us down to the Flag bridge... Kat was running a little rich on her mix so we didn't make the flight deck. (114'; 59 minutes). A few more tropicals have found the ship; there's a trumpet fish in just about every cable trunk and by every ladder now. And oysters! Nearly every horizontal surface now has a complete layer of young oysters covering it, like tile on a floor. They're still mighty thin right now - it'll be interesting to see if they get nice & fat up there out of the sand and mud.
On the second dive (115'; 56 minutes) we enjoyed the swimthroughs in and around the Nav bridge and Pri-Fly, had a tug-o-war with an octopus and Kat laughed out loud at the Beaugregory trying to chase her off... as Smedley says, if a Damselfish weighed 5 pounds you couldn't get in the ocean!
Our only complaint was that we could only fit in two dives :( ...
Sunday the Pete Tide & the Russian freighter were just lovely dives (103/53 and 81/59 respectively). The Blennie Condo Tom mentioned was better than a Keystone Kops show; could have watched for hours if we'd had the time.
I'm afraid I got really ticked on the Sunday trip, though... one of the folks on the boat (not in our group) speared a Crevalle, about a 30 pounder... had no idea what he'd shot - none. :no (You don't shoot Crevalle, 'cause they're not good eating - yes, there are a few chefs who can make one palatable if it's adequately bled immediately, but very few). I was a good boy, though, and didn't call him an IDIOT! When he asked what it was I did say, "It's a Jack Crevalle, and ain't good for ****."
On the second dive I came across an undersize black snapper dieing in the sand with a spear hole in it. Don't know if it was the same guy, but wouldn't be surprized.
There's little in this world that ticks me off more than someone spearing a fish they (1) don't know is legal or (2) don't intend to serve up as a tasty dish.
Aside from that, though, it was a wonderful weekend of wonderful diving. Kudos to the Wet Dream crew; I look forward to going with them again.
Rick

It's always nice running into scubaboarders. They're amongst the highest quality folks on Earth. I just need to find out Denise's energy drink secret.

It is pure adrenaline...they don't bottle that stuff...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom