Dive Report - S Monastery - 18 Mar 07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca:
Now who goes around bringing 100's when they dive...

I do. I use them to wipe off my mask if fogs up. :D

Seriously though...send Rick his $20 back.
-Chris

I've seen some divers have carried their wallets, phones and personal items with them when diving underwater because the cars we drive today now have those security electronic locks now. How can you lock those cars while not getting the things wet? You can risk it with drysuit, put them into those seal containers, or take the valuables along the dive and go underwater. Once you go underwater, your cars are perfect targets for thiefs. However this is only a hypothesis as to why you find money in the water because the person wanted it closed to him and he completely lost it under it. Anyways, I'm very pissed off at the fact that someone pulled my Christian fish symbol but had the word scuba in it and leaving a sticker mark on my car. That was very unchristian of them and completely rude. I know someone pulled it off because I saw signs of struggle on it.

Ben_ca:
Comments: Swell was coming out of NW so our plan of diving Carmel River Beach was nixed and we checked out S Monastery... Not too bad on waves and long lulls between sets so we set up our tables and went for it.

Hi Ben,

Why was a NW swell bad for diving Carmel River Beach? Seems that it would be as protected as Monastery on such a day, depending on which entry you were planning to use. I haven't done much shore diving around Monterey, so still trying to learn more about where to go and when.

Gary

skynscuba:
Hi Ben,

Why was a NW swell bad for diving Carmel River Beach? Seems that it would be as protected as Monastery on such a day, depending on which entry you were planning to use. I haven't done much shore diving around Monterey, so still trying to learn more about where to go and when.

Gary

Gary,

Based on Chuck's swell models, it seemed that the swell was coming from the west. I think the area that is best for entry in CRB is pretty exposed to swells from that direction.

South Monastery on the other hands seems to get a little bit of shelter in such conditions. Swells from the north west hits south monastery right in the teeth.

skynscuba:
Hi Ben,

Gary

Besides Adobo's post...

The MK-1 Eyeball report looked iffy to me.. The entry could have been done but usually swells pick up later in the day so then the exit might be worse

One way that works for me when exiting Monastery is when you get near the shore after your dive, turn around, with all gear on, including fins on and reg in your mouth, and walk backwards out of the water. You can keep your Mark I Eyeball on the waves and hunker down if you see any sleepers that would otherwise roll you or knock you down. There aren't any rocks to speak of in the surf zone, so all you really need to do is look toward the ocean and stop backing when you're out of the water.

I use a boat instead. Hate walking on the sand!

Yeah you go ahead and stay cheap! :wink:

Ben_ca:
I walk... saves me $80 bucks... :)

I agree! Monastery looked great today when we drove past to Lobos :D Vis was pretty good for my one dive today in Blue Fish Cove. We hit 92' and the vis seemed around 25' or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom