Dive Report: Southern Channel Islands on Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hinalo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't know why I was so sure we would cross paths with Kristina and Matt on The Peace - it's a big ocean and a lot of dive sites on the channel islands. So Monday morning I was not in the least surprised to see the Peace anchored on Farnsworth Banks as we approached after leaving San Clemente on the Vision early that morning.

We'd had 50 foot vis and warm 57˚ - 62˚ temps on San Clemente, and the diving was excellent on the sheer walls just out from Pyramid Cove the day before.

This was to be my first diving on Catalina and I was not disappointed, even though the wind came up after our first dive on Pedestal Rock pinnacle and blew out Farnsworth. I'd been hoping to dive there but now will just have to go back.

Around the east side of Catalina we found some beautiful walls at Bird Rock, and later I stumbled, with help from my buddy, onto a massive Giant Sea bass. The gorgonians down on the southern islands, along with the beautiful quality of the light in the kelp make it a very special place, and one that I will have to return to.

There were surprises, as always, and one of them for me was a sudden drysuit flood on the second dive of the first day. However, borrowing a page from Brewski's play book, I had a backup wet suit, booties, and hooded vest, so I just stuffed the drysuit in a bag and forgot about it the rest of the trip.

I was great to remember how much I love wetsuit diving, especially in the summertime.

More about this trip and some pics are on my blog at:

Upwellings: San Clemente, Catalina, Santa Cruz on The Vision

Thnx for the report

Great dive report and pics. Kind of a bummer you didn't get to dive at Farnsworth Bank, but at least you got to see a giant sea bass. Everyone on our boat was hoping to see one, but none did.

I saw one, Matt, it was preceded the bat ray when I took off swimming. It was a good 40 feet away and I only saw it's shawdowy shape in the sunlight, but it was way bigger than a sheepshead and had that straight tail. I tried to show you :(

In which at the time my face was buried in my camera or REEF slate :wink:

I saw one, Matt, it was preceded the bat ray when I took off swimming. It was a good 40 feet away and I only saw it's shawdowy shape in the sunlight, but it was way bigger than a sheepshead and had that straight tail. I tried to show you :(

Glad you enjoyed our southern Channel Islands. Sorry to hear you were blown out at Farnsworth, but it gives you a good reason to return as you suggested!

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
I'm jealous, but now that my life has a little light peeking through the end of the tunnel I might be able to partake more in tropical dive vacations in Southern California.

There were surprises, as always, and one of them for me was a sudden drysuit flood on the second dive of the first day. However, borrowing a page from Brewski's play book, I had a backup wet suit, booties, and hooded vest, so I just stuffed the drysuit in a bag and forgot about it the rest of the trip.
I was great to remember how much I love wetsuit diving, especially in the summertime.
This is exactly why I went back to wetsuit diving, no holes, no leaks, no ripped seals, no fancy contraption to be able to take a wiz if needed, no expensive zipper replacement, no neck chafing after the second day, no sweat soaked stinky underwear, none of it.
The simplicity and function of a quality wetsuit speaks for itself.
I love to be wet.
I love to have the ocean water on my body.

M&B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great trip report - thanks for sharing! And also good to hear you had a backup plan for your drysuit failure. The Boy Scout motto "Be prepared" goes a long way in diving, especially while diving offshore.

Did anyone get pics of the giant seabass?

Back
Top Bottom