Dive Report: Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
We decided to combine the two for a nice advanced recreational dive on the Grove, and lay to rest the notion that this is some kind of ‘killer’ dive.

I agree, nothing special about this dive if planned right.

I've got 6 dives on the Grove (not bad for a yankee) and have found her to be quite enjoyable. But just like any other dive, wreck or otherwise, each diver needs to evaluate the conditions and plan their own dive according to their own skill level. If that means calling a dive, you call the dive. Honesty with yourself is the key here.

In the few dives i've done on her, i've seen it go from no current to hanging on to the line like a spinner bait current. Its not that big a thing for the experienced or prepared. It can be a huge thing for the unprepared.

Last dive, we planned to come up a different line than the one the boat was moored to. Current was mild to strong and surface conditions were a little bumpy at 4-5'. We knew we would have to wait for the other divers to get picked up before they came & got us, thats the way it was briefed. No biggie, get positive, signal your okay, hold on to the line, lay back, relax and wait to be picked up.

Conditions like that are why i don't recommend cutting your BC lift too close. I've always thought a little extra drag underwater is worth the extra lift potential on the surface. You never know when your gonna need it.

Agreed 100%.

TCDiver1:
I agree, nothing special about this dive if planned right.

I've got 6 dives on the Grove (not bad for a yankee) and have found her to be quite enjoyable. But just like any other dive, wreck or otherwise, each diver needs to evaluate the conditions and plan their own dive according to their own skill level. If that means calling a dive, you call the dive. Honesty with yourself is the key here.

In the few dives i've done on her, i've seen it go from no current to hanging on to the line like a spinner bait current. Its not that big a thing for the experienced or prepared. It can be a huge thing for the unprepared.

Last dive, we planned to come up a different line than the one the boat was moored to. Current was mild to strong and surface conditions were a little bumpy at 4-5'. We knew we would have to wait for the other divers to get picked up before they came & got us, thats the way it was briefed. No biggie, get positive, signal your okay, hold on to the line, lay back, relax and wait to be picked up.

Conditions like that are why i don't recommend cutting your BC lift too close. I've always thought a little extra drag underwater is worth the extra lift potential on the surface. You never know when your gonna need it.

DennisW:
However, I have been narc'd enough to know that your mind will play tricks on you and you won't even know it at the time.

Dennis,

Have you ever thought of taking a Recreational Trimix course? You can bring your equivilent narcotic depth up to whatever you'd like, and on recreational dives, that means you can pretty much eliminate nitrogen narcosis.

Don't be put off by the cost of helium. Mixing 30/30 trimix in a 100cf single tank is relatively inexpensive, and the benefits of doing a dive like the Grove with no narcosis is incredible. The cost of the training is basically the same as doing a nitrox course.

Mempilot,
Can you and/or Paidpro help me out a bit (I dove the Grove for the first time about 3 weeks ago)?

1) Did you see any black grouper there ? I've recently heard reports of a late occurring spawning aggregation of this species there.

2) What kind of dry suit do you guys use in Florida waters?

3) Can you recommend an IANTD instructor in the Miami area for an entry-level tech/trimix course?

Many thanks in advance,
Dave

We did indeed see a large grouper on the bottom, but we were at 107 fsw at the time. We discussed it on the boat, and thought it to be a Goliath, but I guess it could have been a large Black Grouper.

I dive the Zeagle Expedition GS, which is actually an Otter drysuit. Scott dives a White's.

I like the Expedition because of it's tough cordura outer fabric. It's basically similiar to the DUI cLX450.

For IANTD basic and advanced recreational trimix, talk to Wally Barnes. His contact information can be found on the instructor search page of the IANTD website. There are other instructors in the area, but Wally holds classes regularily and is accomodating to your schedule.

loquat149:
Mempilot,
Can you and/or Paidpro help me out a bit (I dove the Grove for the first time about 3 weeks ago)?

1) Did you see any black grouper there ? I've recently heard reports of a late occurring spawning aggregation of this species there.

2) What kind of dry suit do you guys use in Florida waters?

3) Can you recommend an IANTD instructor in the Miami area for an entry-level tech/trimix course?

Many thanks in advance,
Dave

mempilot:
Dennis,

Have you ever thought of taking a Recreational Trimix course? You can bring your equivilent narcotic depth up to whatever you'd like, and on recreational dives, that means you can pretty much eliminate nitrogen narcosis.

Don't be put off by the cost of helium. Mixing 30/30 trimix in a 100cf single tank is relatively inexpensive, and the benefits of doing a dive like the Grove with no narcosis is incredible. The cost of the training is basically the same as doing a nitrox course.

I have not considered taking a trimix course. I don't dive enough or normally dive deep enough to justify the course or using trimix. My wife, my best buddy, does not like to dive much deeper than about 70 ft, so it would pretty much be a waste. I also like shallower and therefore, longer dives better than deeper dives. I think the technical aspects of trimix would be interesting, but still not worth the time for me. I have too many other things to do with my time today to use it on something I may use once every year or so. And would I be proficient if I did only use it once a year? I think not.

Recreational Trimix is no more technical that Nitrox, and the depths are the same. The only difference is the elimination of all or part of the narcosis you talked about earlier.

The course costs the same as a nitrox course, the materials are as brief and light, and the cost to dive trimix at recreational limits is not much more than nitrox. You don't have to put much He in to make a big difference.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom