Dive Report St Maarten March 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oddswiz

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well got back from St Maarten about a week ago and things we a bit on the hectic side getting back in to the old Rat Race.

But now on to happier thoughts, things I have to say over all were awesome; we ran a promotion at StMaartenDivers.com for some discounted diving. The response was great.

It was 2 days of double tank dives and things could not have been better.
Day one the conditions were a little bumpy about 5ft waves but no real current worth mentioning and visibility of 75fft plus. Approaching the first site I am up on the bridge with the boat captain, we are looking out at the mooring and something doesn't look quite right. I grab the binoculars and have a look to discover there was a goat carcass floating right by the mooring. Needless to say this provided quiet the chatter before the dive. So everyone sees the carcass floating by; so when I start the briefing with "Welcome to Shark Hotel" the boat was a buzz. Chatter continued about what kind of omen it could have been to see the goat floating by. Finally we all settle in and got down to diving. Great dive we saw a total of 6 black tips on that dive max depth of 70ft. They were around in all shapes and sizes. Super stars the lot of them, the largest black tip we saw was probably between 8 to 10ft the rest ranged from 3ft to 6ft.

Second dive, on day one we dove Cable Reef, more great visibility and the sea settled down a little. No current what so ever and what a relaxing dive. The site not only offered up some spotted morays, a couple lobsters, some excellent barrel sponges but more sharks. ThatÃÔ right!! 2 more sharks bringing the count up to 8 for the day. Pineapple Pete was the restaurant du jour for dinner and things continued to fall in to place. I had the Crab and Spinach crusted Grouper filet, WOW!!

Day two conditions flattened right out, the group and I scored big time as we ended up going out on our own boat. The shop had booked up a large group for the morning double. I had spoken to Antoine the owner of the shop the night before and he said he would kick around the idea. He joined my family and me for dinner that night before, so I ordered a 2nd bottle of wine and secured the second boat before dessert.
We headed off at exactly 09:00am, not a cloud in the sky, because of the happenings the day before of course everyone had eyes out to see if we spotted another goat. Nothing floating around today but the diving was again excellent. First dive was RO/RO aka Carib Ghost; the site is a sunken roll on, roll off barge at about 60ft. Conditions where calm, no current and visibility was over 100ft. Everyone had a blast on this dive, large dog tooth snappers, some sting rays hanging around, and every hole you looked into had something different hanging out. Second Dive day 2 was The Maze 25 to 55 feet the reef offers some mini-cave diving along the sides. Turtles, rays and large French angelfish were hanging out. For a high light we saw what I would say is one the biggest lobsters I have ever seen. I would hate to guess how much he/she would weigh in at but I can promise you, a meal for a family of 5.

Overall relaxing diving, great food and activities, even though St Maarten is not renowned for its diving it is great place to get wet enjoy yourself and have the night life and excellent restaurants that most places tend to miss the mark on. Not to mention a spring board for Saba, Statia and or St Kitts.

If you heading to St. Maarten please shoot us a line we are happy to help.

Jason
Stmaartendivers.com

Thanks for this Jason - I'm thinking of going next Month (29-31 May). How's the diving at that time? Am also interested in doing a specialty cert (Deep Diving or Fish ID) - can we arrange through your dive op?

Many thanks
Chrissy

HI Chrissy,

We can gladly make either or both specialty certs happen for you. Believe it not the weather actually gets better as the summer progresses right up to August/September. May should be awesome in terms of conditions.

Please drop me an email at jason AT stmaartendivers.com as we can discuss specifics.

Jason
StMaartenDivers.com

Back
Top Bottom