Dive Report Vortex - March 6-7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We left for Vortex just after noon on Friday. It was nice to get settled in and relax before dinner. We even did our Dollar Store stop before Sally’s. The place was kind of crowded but we ordered the standard hamburger steak, onions but no gravy, sweet potato, and hushpuppies. We always save half for lunch on Saturday. Us and some of the Auburn folks gathered for a “little snoot” and some lively conversation before turning in.

I always marvel at the spring shrouded in steam on cool mornings. The students were there and anxious and the crowds arrived early. We were lucky enough to get the first dive done before the silt stirred but the second dive visibility proved pretty close. We did the skills and all did well. The air warmed but the wind bit. After the second dive I poured water from the right leg of my dry suit. I hate it when that happens.

We had a great number of divers just down there for the fun.

The barbecue went well as usual. The aroma from sausages piled high on the grill wafted through the campground as divers both old and new laughed and talked. We presented certificates to those who had earned them and only when we sat down realized how tired we were. We started a bonfire and fun lasted way into the night.

One of the Auburn folks hung their wetsuit on the porch to dry and on Sunday morning icicles dangled from the sleeve. The spring spewed forth steam in ghostly shadows against the rising sun. Students were there and ready to get started. With fewer divers the spring waters were clear and enticing. The wind stopped and by noon the air toasty warm.

We signed logbooks, shook hands and said “Congratulations diver!” as thirty brand new frogpersons earned their certifications. The sun felt warm as we packed and paid the bill. We hated to leave but met the crowd once again when we stopped at the Dairy Queen in Elba.

All-in-all a fun, relaxing, rewarding, exhausting weekend we had.

P3071078aaa.jpg

Last edited:
Tommy, thanks for the report. It was great seeing you and May-May at Sally's on Friday night too. I appreciate you saving me a chair. Sure made the drive out to Tally alot easier after a nice sit down meal with some great buds.

We enjoyed your company - Always makes a day great to see you Bugman!

Thanks Tommy! Was good seeing you again. Sorry we had no more time to talk and visit. We moved on to Marianna Sunday morning and the day was much warmer and less windy there too. Great weekend!
Thanks again,
Kenny P.

I just became certified this past weekend & was informed of your group last night. I would like to be notified of your upcoming events. I am new to this ScubaBoard thing, so please help :)
~ Denise Daniel ~

Denise

We will be glad to tell you all about the happenings. However - did we tell you that we are in Bonaire? I think we might have mentioned it.

But - we can't wait to get back to Kowaliga and we'll let you know.

After we get back from Bonaire that is......

I just became certified this past weekend & was informed of your group last night. I would like to be notified of your upcoming events. I am new to this ScubaBoard thing, so please help :)
~ Denise Daniel ~

Denise

We will be glad to tell you all about the happenings. However - did we tell you that we are in Bonaire? I think we might have mentioned it.

But - we can't wait to get back to Kowaliga and we'll let you know.

After we get back from Bonaire that is......

I would be interested in diving Kowaliga with you all sometime. Enjoy Bonaire.

david reiterman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom