Dive Rite Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimdiverman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to start getting into Tec, but I need some advice on gear. When I first got certified and bought my gear, I bought a Dive Rite Transpak II, with the intention of doing Tec at some point in the future. I put that off for awhile...

Well I recently had problems with my Transpak BC (it failed to inflate on a long wait after a drift dive!!!!) and decided to replace it. On the advice of another dive shop, I bought a Black Diamond. On my last dive trip, I had problems purging the bladder when I was inverted taking photos. I like to stay a little positive when shooting, and stay off the coral, bottom or whatever is there. But I also need to be still to take the shot. That is where the purge comes in. If I was on my side, I found that there may not be any air on that side depending on which way I twisted to set up the shot. You see, it has a U-shaped bladder. My old Dive Rite had only one purge on the back, but it was oval shaped.

Okay, so I'm in the local dive shop yesterday shooting the breeze with the help, and one of them is a tec diving instructor. He introduces me to the Dive Rite backplate. It didn't feel that comfortable to me (out of the water and with a full tank). AND, the price tag makes it over $600 with tax. That just blew me away.

I want to know if anyone has any experience with this piece of gear. Thanks.

The plate and wing are the basis of all tech diving. If you are going in that route than the plate would be the way to go. I would recommend the basic webbing harness because you don't need anything else and it will become comfortable with use, just feels weird when you start. Also make sure that you get the crotch strap, yes it will feel funny to start with but it will feel normal after a few dives. Once you have the plate and harness figured out it can be adapted to any kind of diving that you want to do, singles, doubles, steel, alum. rec or tech. The only thing that you have to change is the tanks and the wing. I would highly recommend this type of set up.

but trust me, properly fitted, they are very comfortable in the water, especially when you're doing stuff like photography.

six bills for a set-up is a little ridiculous, though, especially when one was just advetrised on this site for 399, and deep sea supply's prices are very close to that as well.

A bp is a bp. Some have features you might like, but seriously, what can you do with stainless steel some one else can't?

I chose Dee Sea Supply because all the setups i've seen, Halcyon, etc. have frayed harnesses from chafing the backplate slots. DSS has nylon-type washers there and it looks like that won't be an issue. Time will tell, but their price and support was excellent as well. They have their own forum on this board. Take a look at it, and talk to Tobin there. He'll sell you the right stuff for what you need.

If you still have your transpac you could take the wing off it and use it with a backplate/transplate packate. You are half way there already. You wouldn't need a new wing. If it failed to inflate is is probably just a bad inflator and wont' cost that much for service.

Brent

Thanks for all the good posts. I do actually still have the TransPak. The problem is that the inflator valve is constantly purging. I could replace it, and it would be good as new. Taking your advice, I could add the back plate to it. The bladder is only 30 pounds though. Is that enough lift?

That is enough lift for most single tank diving, wet or dry.

I think that is all you need to do. The transplate harness is only 115, or you can go the basic harness system for around 40. I might start with the transplate harness, that and a new inflator and you are good to go. A new inflator should be around 30-40. I would take your wing to a local shop and get it checked out to make sure everything is performing as it should. A 30 pound wing should be good for everything you will be doing.

If I can help you with a harness let me know.
Brent

jimdiverman:
He introduces me to the Dive Rite backplate. It didn't feel that comfortable to me (out of the water and with a full tank). AND, the price tag makes it over $600 with tax.
Exactly what was he quoting for $600? Was it a plate and a Transplate harness? Or, a plate and a wing? It couldn't be $600 for just the plate. Even a Transplate rig shouldn't even be close to that. I wouldn't worry about the feel of the plate out of the water - certainly it won't have the feel of a BC. In the water with a wetsuit you probably won't even notice its there. If you want to pursue tec, you should go ahead with a plate, and DR is as good as any. A 30 lb wing is fine for single tanks, as noted. When you get to doubles, particularly HP steels, you'll probably go a bit bigger but that's down the road.

Not saying anything negative about DSS plates (great equipment), the issue of web chafing around the slots on a SS BP isn't a big deal. Yep, there is a bit with most, but abrupt failure of the harness is very unlikely - you'll know there is a weak point well before it happens and can replace the webbing.

hunter991:
I think that is all you need to do. The transplate harness is only 115, or you can go the basic harness system for around 40. I might start with the transplate harness, that and a new inflator and you are good to go. A new inflator should be around 30-40. I would take your wing to a local shop and get it checked out to make sure everything is performing as it should. A 30 pound wing should be good for everything you will be doing.

If I can help you with a harness let me know.
Brent

Thanks Brent. I need to find somewhere else to take my DiveRite BC for repair though. The shop that I was using prior to Hurricane Katrina is gone, and the one I am using now isn't a "tech" shop. I'm sure I can find someplace to get the BC fixed though. Thanks again.

Colliam7:
Exactly what was he quoting for $600? Was it a plate and a Transplate harness? Or, a plate and a wing? It couldn't be $600 for just the plate. Even a Transplate rig shouldn't even be close to that.

He was quoting the whole rig. I know they would probably give me a discount, but I have noticed the prices in the shops are generally much higher than you can find the products elsewhere. Part of that is the factory warranty that they give. For instance, I can get a Suunto D9 with transmitter from the local dive shop for $1700, but I also found them online for $1300. I am sure the online version doesn't come with the Aqualung 5 year warranty, and 3 years of battery replacement. But the question remains, is it really worth that?

Anyway, you all have me convinced in using the backplate going forward. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom