Dive Rite 'new" integrated weight pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pvak

Reaction score
Last year Dive Rite changed the design of their integrated weight pocket for the Transpac II by now having a double flap closure and a stiffener in the material. They claim that it is more stable. Has anyone had the chance to try these newer pockets and compare them to the older "softer" version. I wear 10 lbs of lead shot in each pocket of my "old" design and they do tend to sag a bit. I'm wondering if the newer design would be more stable and worth the price of "upgrade". Thanks.

for me to pick it up monday, I imagine that it will have the new pockets , (since I ordered pockets as well)... I'll let you know soon as I get it wet, unless someone else answers first..

Darlene

and put 10 lbs softweights in each...

And mine are doing quite nicely for me.

I can't see a reason to switch.

But, that being said, I'd like to hear what the differences are, and how folks like the new ones.

I think one of the differences is...
In the old pockets you pull the handle and the weight drops out of the bottom.
In the new pockets you pull the handle, which is attached to a second pocket with the weight, out and up and drop the whole pocket.
You'll know if you have the new ones if there is no zipper.

XJae once bubbled...
I think one of the differences is...
In the old pockets you pull the handle and the weight drops out of the bottom.
In the new pockets you pull the handle, which is attached to a second pocket with the weight, out and up and drop the whole pocket.
You'll know if you have the new ones if there is no zipper.

If the primary difference is the way you drop the weight, I don't need the new pockets...

I consider the 20lb I have in mine as (relatively...) unditchable...There are very few instances where I'd want someone ditching the entire 20 lb, and all are on the surface.

--Sean

Is to make ditching a bit tougher to do by accident. The old pockets have a small D ring inside that if you wanted, you could tie your weights together with short links of cave line, and clip off the first one to that D ring......if you need to drop...cut the appropriate cave line link and drop only what you want....

I imagine the new pockets have the same D ring

Darlene

I have the "new" weight pockets in my Transpac and they are very nice. The sitff material works well and compared to the old system seems to eliminate sag a bit. The release is still a single pull down and the weights fall out. (If you use the dive rite weights bags they fall out but the pocket stays put) I use shot weights and even the two pounders stay put without the seperate pouch.

The d-ring is still there in the inside of the pocket-and the new ones still have a zipper.

Hello
I have the transpack ii with new pockets, they don’t sag and the release is a two way pull you pull up on the handle then down to release the weight and you would just lose the weight the pocket stays
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the information! I think I'll get my LDS to get me a couple of the new ones to try. It sounds like they may solve my "sag" problem. :)
Peter

All good info and accurate about the new pockets.

My "problem" with them is that they seem to take up all the available space on my waist band leaving no room for other storage. So I've been thinking about ditching the pockets in favor of a weight belt.

I had not noticed small rings inside the pocket, and, now, I wonder if that would fix my storage issue by letting me clip other things inside the pockets in addition to 4-6 pounds of lead.

Would there be any safety issues in using weight pockets for a second purpose? My guess would be that this could increase the risk af an accidental weight ditching.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom