Dive-Rite Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinerd

Contributor
Reaction score
Maby it's just me, but it seems that Dive-Rite regs are very under represented on this site. It also seems like they are given very little credit. Am I just dreaming, or missing something? I am not looking for a personal bashing just an honest question.
Andrew

i've also noticed the same. for tech diving people seem to always recommend apeks or scubapro. apeks is nice because they guarantee free parts for life (i'm told), but dive-rite regs are available for cheaper, very easy to service (manual is free online) and service kits are also available for them - though not for free. the only complaint i have so far about my dive-rite is the dive pre-dive switch on the second stages. it's sort of flimsy and the settings are reversed on the octo and primary which can be confusing. i prefer the apeks switch. but the free dive-rite manual is a huge bonus for someone who wants to service his or her own regs - i'm about to buy a second dive-rite first stage.

disclaimer: i haven't actually serviced my own reg yet, so i'm just assuming that dive-rites are easy to service based on what others have said and on having looked over the service manual.

Yup - there's a big love affair with both Apeks and Scubapro. I've never owend a Scubapro regulator - too much trouble to maintain. I know people who swear by them, but lots of strange things have staunch adherents - look at Scientology, Vegemite or diet Coke as examples.
Apeks are nice regs, but the parts are hard to scrounge up now that US Divers tightened down the parts pipelines.
The Dive Rite regs work well, the repair manuals are online, the parts are easily procurred - all big pluses in my book. Fixing a reg isn't that hard - once you do it, you'll realize how straightforward it is. The right tools though do make a lot of difference - a junky adjustable wrench is a good way to get yourself in trouble.

Lets not forget how easily one can take them appart and clearthem of sand and debris underwater.A big plus in my opinion

DiveRite are good reg, I own 3 of them and I never had any problem. Like the above mention easy to repair and maintain. I use mine as deep as 250ft in cold water and they work well. Lot of divers used them, just not as many as Apeks and SP.

Just bought a set of DiveRite regs for my 108's. I looked at all of the regs currently avalible and decided that reliability, ease of service, and dependability were the things I wanted in a technical regulator. I routinely dive in less than ideal conditions living in the midwest and needed a regulator that would stand up to the conditions. DiveRite makes a great line of diving products (expept the HID lights, which I am less than thrilled about, going to SALVO lights), and there customer service is top notch.

When I started looking for a regulator I had in my mind I wanted a set of Scubapro or Apex. After doing long hours of research and asking my technical dive instructors I began to look at the DiveRite regs. One of the greatest advantages is I do not have to have a DIN adapter for the tanks, the yoke is removeable. This was a great advantage as the regulator could double as a recreational regulator with just an attachment of an octo and spg.

Versatility was not the selling point however. The price of the regs were well below the so called top of the line regs with the same performance (or my LDS just gave me a heck of a deal, of about $200 difference) The selling point was that DiveRite regs have a reputation of being a no frills, tough, dependable regulaor.

Give them time. It was only a couple years ago that they broke rank and came out supporting consumer demand for parts and documentation. If I were starting today I'd probably go with dive rite. But as long as I can get parts for my scubapro regs without too much trouble, I'll stick with them.

Some folks claim distinct similarity between the Dive Rite regs and the Divers Supply Sea Elite Tek X model. Externally, I agree, but I defer to someone (anyone?) with intimate familiarity of the internals and manufacturing plant(s) used to clarify if possible.

http://www.diverssupplyusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16856

See the review written at this link about 1/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.diverssupplyusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=149

WarmWaterDiver:
Some folks claim distinct similarity between the Dive Rite regs and the Divers Supply Sea Elite Tek X model. Externally, I agree, but I defer to someone (anyone?) with intimate familiarity of the internals and manufacturing plant(s) used to clarify if possible.

Like the Salvo regs, they are probably from the same source, however, each re-brander usually makes some sort of modification to distinguish their product from the next. I believe DiveRite changes out 2 parts from the original manufacturer (I don't know which) as does Salvo. Performance-wise, you probably can't tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom