Dive Rite XT Leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreckledQBall

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, does anyone have issues with dive rite XTs breathing a bit wet? I get a little water leak in both of my second stages. Regs are brand new and have been "leaking" for about 20 dives now. I have checked all the rubber including the mouth guards for tears and nothing. I also checked the diaphragms and nothing. Any clue?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, this is my first post!

Thanks In advance!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to regulator forum

Hello, does anyone have issues with dive rite XTs breathing a bit wet? I get a little water leak in both of my second stages. Regs are brand new and have been "leaking" for about 20 dives now. I have checked all the rubber including the mouth guards for tears and nothing. I also checked the diaphragms and nothing. Any clue?

Thanks In advance!

No regulator should normally breathe wet unless it's in your mouth upside down (as can happen when taking someone's octopus, for example).

You can do a "vacuum" test yourself. Put the dust cap on (hand tight) without the regulator attached to a tank. Put it in your mouth and suck all of the air out of it and wait. If there is a leak somewhere then you will be able to hear and/or feel it. It might help you localize the problem if there is just something loose. If you detect a problem but can't find it then you'll need to have them looked at.

The most common causes of a small leak are probably the mouthpiece (tiewrap missing or a small nick in the mouthpiece) or a diaphragm that has slightly shifted or is damaged. In some cases the diaphragm for the exhaust valve can become folded over itself (you can visually see this and the vacuum test will tell you immediately if this is the case). In rare cases the 2nd stage housing could have become damaged somehow and cracked. Inspect the housing carefully for this and or any signs of components that have become loose.

good luck.

gr,
Rob

No regulator should normally breathe wet unless it's in your mouth upside down (as can happen when taking someone's octopus, for example).

You can do a "vacuum" test yourself. Put the dust cap on (hand tight) without the regulator attached to a tank. Put it in your mouth and suck all of the air out of it and wait. If there is a leak somewhere then you will be able to hear and/or feel it. It might help you localize the problem if there is just something loose. If you detect a problem but can't find it then you'll need to have them looked at.

The most common causes of a small leak are probably the mouthpiece (tiewrap missing or a small nick in the mouthpiece) or a diaphragm that has slightly shifted or is damaged. In some cases the diaphragm for the exhaust valve can become folded over itself (you can visually see this and the vacuum test will tell you immediately if this is the case). In rare cases the 2nd stage housing could have become damaged somehow and cracked. Inspect the housing carefully for this and or any signs of components that have become loose.

good luck.

gr,
Rob

It definitely happens more when Im swimming down. Is it normal to get a bit of water if you're in a weird position?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to regulator forum
Also could you tell me how to move posts to other forums? I'm not seeing it haha, I'd also maybe like to post this to the Dive Rite forum to see if other have had this problem

Thanks In advance!

Just to be clear, have they always "leaked"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom