dive scenario - need feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a general rule I would recommend diving with people who have close to the same amount of experience as you. That way you don't have one person depending on another in a 'strong and weak' scenario. Learn and grow together, rather than playing tag-along. :)

I think the opposite. If it’s possible, dive with more experienced divers. You will learn more and learn faster. The only caveat is the situation the OP described. The more experienced diver missed a few important parts of the dive, like good pre-dive briefing and a clarification of signals and what to do if scenarios. Sometimes even the more experienced divers don’t realize how new you may be, so be sure to tell them.

Dave

This is true, but I do feel that it can create a situation where one diver is overly dependent on another. As long as you can avoid that, go for it. Mentors are great! :D

A true mentor sits back and makes you lead the dive then offers pointers for making the next dive better.

suddha,
You are a new diver and right now is the most important time for you to make the decisions about how the dive is conducted. If you are not comfortable with something or something doesn't sound right you need to let your buddy know and change the plan to fit your skill level. Learn the rock bottom information or dive the rule of thirds. A simple rule of thumb for shallow dives is to be in sight of your exit point at 1000psi; if that means you have to snorkel out to the wreck and snorkel back then use your snorkel to conserve your air. Those last few hundred psi go pretty quickly especially for new divers.

BTW, Your buddy probably went under because the swim is easier underwater than on the surface :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm glad you did bring up the air consumption, actually. It is concerning to me, since on my previous dives, I haven't lasted nearly as long as my buddy could have. I am a very fit (regular running, swimming and cycling) 37 yr old. I don't get cold on the dives. I suspect some anxiety might be a cause.

FYI, I did not breathe from my reg on the surface swim.

I'm glad you did bring up the air consumption, actually. It is concerning to me, since on my previous dives, I haven't lasted nearly as long as my buddy could have. I am a very fit (regular running, swimming and cycling) 37 yr old. I don't get cold on the dives. I suspect some anxiety might be a cause.

FYI, I did not breathe from my reg on the surface swim.

The more experience you get the better your air consumption will be. Also, there are many threads on ways to better your air consumption that discuss things like weighting, trim (being horizontal in the water to reduce drag) and what type of kick you use.

Of course anxiety was the cause. You're a new diver.

Your air consumption will get better with each dive you make. It took me about 20 dives to get my air consumption down to a "normal" level. I know a guy who has finished his DM course who can still only get 30 minutes out of an AL80 when I'm getting 1:10-1:15 on the same profile and getting back on the boat with 1200 psi left..

And a half-mile surface swim to the site and back is STUPID. After you've got 50 dives under your belt, maybe. Until then, you need to understand your limitations.

You are VERY lucky that you didn't become a diving accident statistic.

Once you come up, it is a little late to do a safety stop. You definitely should have just passed on it. One poster hit a good point - telling your buddy at 600psi would startle him. Since this buddy is new to you, you need to check more often. With him in a drysuit, he was likely not exerting himself nearly as much as you were, so the difference of 500psi could be explained that way (beyond the fact that as a newer diver you may just need to slow down a little).

If your buddy says don't worry, then you should just let them know you will stay topside. You can snorkel in a bit if you want and he can kick in underwater. If you had instead started kicking back to shore at ~15 feet, you could have been spending the time to do a safety stop at that time, but when you noted 600 psi, that is "end-of-dive" time. Waiting to finish the dive till your buddy is done is just begging for trouble.

As far as diving with like-experienced vs more-experienced divers, it depends. If the more experienced divers are being patient with you and you like the mantra they preach, then go for it. If not, tag-team with someone else. You need to dive within your comfort zone. Feel the situation out. If you like the person, then go for it. You will learn a lot from diving with more experienced people. Diving only with others with the same level of low experience as you could also lead to trouble. Since you have only 6 dives since May, you will not have a strong internal database to tap into to resolve issues - either individually or collectively.

I will give you big props for at least going into the site WITH a buddy. I have seen instances where new divers show up and decide to dive solo because they do not want to ask others to buddy up.. So kudos to you on that.

Dive often, dive safe, and always dive comfortably.

Thanks all, for your replies. This really is such a helpful community. I am going to print out this forum thread and stick it in my dive logbook stapled to the page for the dive in question.

I'm glad your buddy understood that you only had 600 psi after a 13 minute dive. I would have had to look at your gauge to make sure I understood your hand signals.

Your air consumption will improve there I see that you are fromt he midwest/great lakes there are plenty of training sites like Haigh and Gilboa to get some dives uder your belt without a mile surface swim.

Talking about your dive and what went wrong or could be improved is a good step in learning!

Well, the good news is, you got a dive in, you learned some things, and you got back safely.

Now -- Let's look at the dive.

First off, a very long surface swim (and the prospect of repeating it coming back) seems to me to be inadvisable for a very new diver with high gas consumption. I've done dives where there was a very long surface swim to begin the dive, but I wouldn't have done them if I'd thought I would have to do the surface swim back as well. At that point, you do it as a boat dive :) In the back of a new diver's mind should be the thought that things might go sideways, due to any number of bits of inexperience, and the place to be when all you want is OUT of the water is not a half mile offshore.

Second, you learned something about communication with an instabuddy. The next time you hook up with somebody you don't know, you'll know to tell them you are brand new, and are managing very little bottom time at present. Then the experienced diver may be able to reevaluate the proposed dive, and see if it makes SENSE for a new diver. There are a lot of us who don't mind doing a short dive, if that's what a new diver can do, but we will change the proposed profile if we have the right information. (I've seen this done on the fly, too, but it wasn't after a half mile swim!)

Third, you've learned that you need to monitor your gas much more often, and keep in touch with your buddy about what remains. As you learned from Lamont's essay, you should agree on a turn pressure and a minimum reserve before you get in the water. If you let your buddy know when you reach turn pressure, he can make whatever modifications he needs to in his planned course to deal with your gas consumption.

I had this happen to me a couple of months ago. I dove with two people new to me. I thought one (on a very small tank) was likely to limit the dive. But it was the other diver who signalled me WAY earlier than I expected that she had reached turn. Having that information allowed me to bring the team shallow much earlier and avoid anybody reaching a "low on air" situation.

Another thing that I hear in the original post is that you would probably enjoy and benefit from reading some more about decompression. Understanding what "no deco limits" really mean, and what you are likely to be able to do, and how to make the decision about when to stay underwater and when to surface, and when the rare occasions are that you should redescend after surfacing, would give you much better ammunition when your buddy is trying to tell you to do something that seems odd. (BTW, if you did a controlled ascent in your situation, there was no need at all to go back down and do an omitted "safety stop".)

It's not a bad thing to have the experience of swimming around a bit on somebody else's regulator. In fact, being relaxed and comfortable while sharing air is an EXCELLENT skill to practice. I would recommend doing it mostly while you still have air in your own tank, though :)

As far as the swim back in goes, I suspect your buddy stayed underwater simply because it's so much easier for a diver to swim there. It's not good practice, in my opinion. I would have stayed on the surface with you, because it's too difficult for me to track somebody who's above me, and having agreed to dive with you, I committed to being your teammate for that dive. (I might have sworn under my breath a bit, though.)

Finally, you might find some interesting reading in the New Divers forum about how to work on reducing your gas consumption. Although some improvement will simply come with time and dives, there are definitely technique things (proper weighting, horizontal trim, and minimizing extraneous movement) that will substantially drop your consumption. And, after all, more bottom time is what we're all after, right?

Kudos to you for posting this, and for reading the answers. There's a lot to learn on this board.

Have to agree with Spart on these issues. I do believe that diving with an experienced diver...and/or actual mentor is the right thing to do when you are progressing into new types of dives. You need someone experienced with whatever types of dives these are. But, as Spart said, it is important to dive with peers also so you can grow together.
Being ooa at a half mile from shore...I would consider that a bad situation to be in. Surface conditions could deteriorate which would have made it safer to swim to shore uw...OOA in any situation increases the risk of an accident dramatically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom