Dive Shop Recommendation in Playa Del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gypsykim

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Board and posted this in the Mexico forum, but haven't received any response.

My husband and I are headed to Playa Del Carmen for our 25th anniversary this August. I became a certified diver in 1975, but I haven't been diving in 20+ years. I figure since it's been so long since I've been diving I should do the whole course over. However, I do have a new book and we will go through it cover to cover before we leave. We want to do the certification while we're in Mexico. Can anyone recommend a good dive shop in Playa Del Carmen?

Thanks.

I am also going to Playa, last week of July. Looking for the right operator. First e-mail your hotel to see if they have an in house operator, many do. The Reef Club doesn't, (where My wife and I are staying) but almost all resorts have dive operators they work with. Unfortunately about the only operator in the region I have found any feed back on is Tank Ha which is the op. that Reef Club recommends was that they where a cattle boat style operation.

I have found way too many web sights for operators in the region to have an opinion on the best but I am continuing my search.

Looking for any advice from other forum subscribers and have started e-mailing operators in area. It is a very large undertaking due to the amount of business there. So many good ops. in Cozumel I'm certain I'll find the same in Playa.

I hope we can compare notes maybe narrow it down soon.

Thanks Steve
:froggy: :froggy:

I tried two shops this past April in downtown PDC. I liked Dive Mike. I did both ocean and Cenote dives with him.

A side note: I am similar to you. I was certified over 20 years ago, but, didn't use it. I was recertified last summer. It was worth it vs. just a refresher course.

I thought Mike was safe. His crew was helpful in the boat. And, he maximized your time in the water.

If you are thinking about going to Cozumel, try Papa Hogs.

P.S. - Both shops I mentioned have websites.

We spent some time in Coz and Playa last summer. Because we were staying at the Iberostar, we did a great deal of diving with Dressel Divers, the onsite operator. We found their DMs to be very knowledgeable and aware of the situation around them. They were always the first to point out cool opportunities like the bearded toadfish, but never lost sight of the fact that their main goal is to watch over the dive party, not take in their own personal vacation.

One thing to remember... Coz is only a 45 minute ferry away. Unless cave diving is your calling in life, a day of diving in Coz is like diving for a week in Playa del Carmen.

Thanks for your advice, I'll keep Dressel Divers in mind. I've been to Coz a couple times will surely go back but on this trip I plan to stay main land. If I don't find a weeks worth of diving in Playa I'll try south of Akumal. I'll also spend One day in a cenote. I have done it before but I'm still more interested in the reefs and fish life. There are plenty of caves in Missouri, near here.:froggy: :froggy:

stevsgarage:
Thanks for your advice, :froggy: :froggy:
I never followed up on this Thread and was interested in how your trip went.
I've since made a couple trips to Playa, dove with DiveMike on both occations. Thought they were the greatest.
Anyway I'd love to hear how your trip went.
Steve

I used Tank-Ha and Sea Life. Abyss dive shop is good also.

Back
Top Bottom