Dive Shops in the DC area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in southern Montgomery County in Maryland. I have been using Atlantic Edge in Gaithersburg. I would like to hear other's comments on Atlantic Edge and any other shop in the Metro DC area.

Thanks!

It all depends on what you are looking for from a dive shop. I drive from Rockville to Manasas for VA Scuba- a good tech oriented dive shop (stocks Halcyon, Dive Rite and OMS and offers tec classes up through rebreather) that does lots of travel. After being a customer for 3 years I now work there part-time. We have multiple recreational Bahamas, FL and NC trips, trips to Fiji, the Caymans and the Gallapagos and tec trips to NC and the Oriskany on the calendar now and will probably add a Canada tec trip and a Coco View trip for sometime this fall. I have also used Brass Anchor in Frederick and consider the folks there good friends and would recommend them to anyone looking for a LDS.

Jackie Cooper

Yes, it certainly does depend on what you are looking for. The folks @ the Brass Anchor are awsome!!! Terry & Judy let me borrow some equipment when my wife and I went to Fl last year. I got my rescue cert through them last year. The folks at Atlantic Edge are equally kind as I had the opportunity to vacation with the owner and his wife for a few days. Jon can be a side splitter after a few drinks!!! :rofl3: There is an outfit in westminster, md that own a quarry and go every wednesday during the season. They make hot dogs, snacks for after diving, ect. Best bet is to " Jump in the pool", just walk in and say hi!! Maybe attend monthly meetings, ect.
Hope this helped.:wink:

I live in Silver Spring and have been with Splash in Alexandria for all my training/diving/ travel. I absolutely love them - they have great staff and affiliated instructors/DMs. They do a great job, I'm a very faithful and happy customer :)

There's also The Dive Shop in Fairfax, VA. Have talked to them a few times, seem nice. New to the area, so haven't purchased anything from any local dive shop recently.

"The Dive Shop" in VA gets my vote. I live in Silver Spring/Burtonsville, and for me it's worth driving 45 min. Great bunch of guys, they bank 32% Nitrox which is usually always available. They fill my tanks to, or slightly above, rated pressure (short fills suck), and are not afraid to service tech equipment such as double tanks. I go to them for tank inspections, O2 cleaning, gas fills, and they manage Millbrook Quarry, and are cool people overall.

I have recently decided to ban Columbia Scuba due to their customer service (or lack thereof). They won't touch doubles, and look at you like you're from a different planet when you mention the word "Deco"....

Oh yeah, ScubaHut in Glenn Burnie is also a great shop.

Szymon

I earned my OW, AOW, and Master Scuba Diver certs at Adventure Scuba in Chantilly VA (not far from Dulles airport). They are a great bunch of guy and gals. They focus on customer satisfaction. Their website is www.scubava.com.

I moved to Arlington recently and have been visited the National Dive Center (www.dcdivers.com) in Friendship Heights a few times, mainly because they're the only Metro accessible dive shop since I don't have a car. Mike, one of their instructors, is pretty cool and works the shop on Saturdays. I just took my EFR cert with him a few weeks ago. I think they sell ScubaPro exclusively, but are authorized to service other brands like Oceanic.

I have talked to Maureen at Aquatic Adventures in Alexandria a few times via e-mail and she seems pretty nice. I'll probably get my stuff serviced with them since I have Zeagle and Aeris gear.

I'll second Hoyden's choice. I've used several in Va. and have found that for me Virginia Scuba is the best. They are a great tech shop and sell the gear to match that type of diving. Great staff who go above and beyond to make sure that you are satisfied with your gear and service!!

vel525:
There's also The Dive Shop in Fairfax, VA. Have talked to them a few times, seem nice. New to the area, so haven't purchased anything from any local dive shop recently.
TDS is where I bought everything I own. I also took classes there. My husband and I fully "endorse" them as professional, down to earth, fun people. Skip will take good care of you :)

Back
Top Bottom