Dive Site & Operator from Miami/Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had many great experiences with Conch Republic Divers, they have a truly professional staff and roomy boats that are not over crowded. I also have good things to say about Silent World and Captain Slate but my top pick is Conch Republic Divers.
CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS " COME SEE WHY WE'RE NOT JUST ANOTHER DIVE SHOP"

x2 for Conch Republic if you are going to the keys. RJ Ventures is a dive OP in Miami; boat is a little crowded, but still a good operation. someone correct me if I'm wrong....I think RJ is the only dive charter in Miami. For others you need to go further north.

You might find the statue a little disappointing--it's in shallow water and, IMHO, not at all as mystical as I thought it was going to be. OTOH, there are several really good (easy) dives in Pennekamp--and then there are the wrecks (not so easy) not too far away. And it's still quite warm.

FYI, DMs don't normally accompany divers in the Keys, so you guys will be on your own in the water.

I enjoyed seeing the statue but once was enough.

Here are the ops I have used in Key Largo: I am sure there are plenty of other really good ops too.

CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS " COME SEE WHY WE'RE NOT JUST ANOTHER DIVE SHOP" goes to a few sites that others don't: I think the shallow reefs in Islamorado are in better condition that Key Largo

Quiescence Diving Services , Inc., One of Key Largo's Finest Diving Operations nice small six pack boats, good service while on the boat too

Florida Keys Diving with Silent World voted #1 dive shop in Florida all around decent shop/boat

Last edited:
LBTS is kind of "home base" for us Gold Coast kids. 150 yard swim to the first reef...about 250 to the second..and there's always something to see there. There is an abundance of juvenile tropicals. We've seen (rarely) sharks, a manta, manatees, turtles, schools of tarpon and bluefish, plus eels, rays, octopi, and of course there are always lobster (take your guage - at this stage of the season there are lots of shorts). Depth will be less than 17 feet, so it's nice place to get your feet wet if you've been a little out of practice or your're trying out new gear. If you know when you're coming, give a shout. The group dives there about five days a week.

Shorediver...nice pics...certainly representative of what we see at LBTS on just about every dive. Parking is about two blocks south of Commercial Blvd at Datura Street. Bring quarters for the parking meter and come early for a space on calm days...the divers will fill up the parking lot pretty quickly. If you night dive, you have to leave the lot by 9pm or park after 5 am. There is a freshwater shower at the entry point.

Also, I'll add my vote for Conch Republic Divers. I've been out with them a couple of times to the Spiegel Grove and Duane, and they did a very nice job every time.

Last edited:
Thanks Shorediver and Bilsant for the information re Lauderdale by the Sea. Is this also a place for the macro stuff?

Oh, wait a minute. I just saw that there is a thread dedicated to LBTS right her on Scubaboard. Cool stuff!

BTW, we dove with RJ Ventures last year--crowded, but the Captain and crew were attentive and competent and very impressive. We dove the Neptune Memorial Gardens (interesting once; we had a personal reason for wanting to visit) and a mediocre wreck. I wish I could say the wreck was impressive as well--it was not. I know they have other wrecks in Biscayne Bay, but I'd stick to the Keys for wreck diving and stay in Miami for the party scene. JMHO.

Hi,,,,

for a good dive and good six-pack boats visit Quiescence Diving Services ,,,,they have been around about 30 some odd years,,, also tell Rob,John and Don hi for me,,,real good guys who know their business,,,

good diving,,,,,,,,captbill crawford

Some more info on the Statue,,,

years ago we used to keep it clean by using a steel brush on the Statue of Christ,,,but with new laws on not disturbing the coral,,,,the coral has grown quite a bit and in a few more years may not be recognized at all,,,,,,so you all had better see it now,,,,,,,,,,
i was there from 70-80,,,

good diving,,,,captbill

I knew there was a reason I loved this dive community. You guys (and gals) have given me all the info I've needed. :clapping:

I'll report back on what I found!

Cheers from Canada

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom