Dive site recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mzampino

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, Hi I am new here on ScubaBoard. We are headed to Playa Del Carmen in two weeks. We plan on diving twice while we are there. So if you had to pick two: what would they be?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike! I would definitely recommend checking out the cenotes, they are amazing dives and a completely unique experience! We will be more than glad to help you plan for your diving trip. Check us out at Diving Mexico - Cenotes, Caves, Caverns, Reefs Playa del Carmen Tulum - Blue Life. We would love to get you to some of our favorite sites in the area. For more information please email Sarah at info@bluelife.com and he will make sure to get you all set up with a really cool couple days of diving.

Hope to dive with you soon!

Where are you staying as it would affect were to dive. The best reefs I have dove on are north of town and only a couple of the dive oper's go there. Tres Rios is a shallow dive (35 to 40 Ft) and is very nice lots of schools of fish and eels. Arches is a wall dive (80 to 100 Ft) with two arches to swim through, I have seen eagle rays there a number of times. Most of the Playa dive shops go south of town and there are a lot of divers on those reefs. Everyone has their favorite dive shop, I use Dive Balam at the Royal Hacindas for Playa dives and a Aldora for dives on Cozumel

A couple of observations. First, as to the Cenotes, a lot of divers love them, but a lot of divers find them sterile and boring. I'm in the latter group - I 've done a Cenote dive (years ago), and saw nothing to make me want to do it again. I'd much rather see soaring coral formations, vivid colors, and abundant sea life. Second, while my diving off the mainland (Playa Del Carmen and Akumal) is limited, IMHO, nothing on the mainland can touch the diving available on Cozumel. Staying in PDC, I'd recommend arranging for at least a day of diving in Cozumel. It'll cost you a round trip Ferry ride, and possibly a taxi fare (depending on which Dive Op you go with), and force you to get up pretty early to catch an early Ferry, but worth it IMO. There are several Cozumel Dive Ops that should be able to accomodate you, including Aldora, Blue XTSea, Living Underwater, Dive with Martin, and a lot of others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom