Dive site/shop recommendation in Vancouver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johng723

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, looks like I'll be visiting Vancouver and staying downtown for a few days on a family trip with the in laws. Looking to get away and squeeze 1 or 2 (or 3) dives in, as well as possibly do a course in dry suit diving (not sure of the water temp this time of year). Since I have a bit of a time constraint per day, I don't think I'll be able to make it to some of the fantastic sites that are mentioned here off Vancouver island. Is there any specific shop and dive sites that anyone recommends for me to do a bit of dry suit diving and to show me around the area? Thanks in advance!

The best shop, IMO is Ocean Quest, excellent staff and equipment. Checkout the website and look into the drysuit info, definitely the best way to dive the west coast! Have a great time!

IDC (Scuba Diving Vancouver - International Diving Centre) is also pretty good. I got my tank fills from them when I dove in Vancouver.

If you ever get the chance to come over to Victoria on Vancouver Island, the best shop here (in my opinion) is Frank White's (Scuba Diving Instruction - Scuba Instructor) . Ogden Point (Ogden Point Dive Center, Vancouver Island's Premier Dive Center located in Victoria, BC) is the other local dive shop, and it is good too.

Water temperature here now is around 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit).

There are three that I would use in Vancouver. (While I am in Victoria now I spent the last 20 years in Vancouver living Downtown) None of the three is Downtown however. All are excellent.

Ocean Quest - Burnaby - personal favourite
The Edge - North Vancouver
IDC - Vancouver

From Vancouver I would probably dive Whytecliff first - nice easy local shore dive.
Next would be Kelvin's Grove
Next Porteau Cove

A local charter would be here Howe Sound | Sea Dragon Charters to do some boat diving (never done this as I have my own boat, but they come recommended by lots of local divers)

If you have time - a full day - jump on the ferry and dive the wrecks of Naniamo.

Custom scuba safaris with a divemaster/dive instructor who could arrange to do your drysuit course at the same time are also available if you're interested. Their service includes helping with gear, transport to/from local sites such as those mentioned above, etc.

See Vancouver Scuba Diving School Home or www.cooldives.com if you're interested.

Have fun - dive safe!

Thanks for all the info! I'll check out the different shops and hopefully the timing works out!

OCEANQUEST.

best prices. best rental gear. not pushy. genuine ( as far as i can tell)

AVOID: THE SCUBA SHOPS ON THE WEST SIDE.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom