Dive sites Hudson, Brooksville area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glenn V

Reaction score
Looking for any dive sites in the Hudson or Brooksville general area. My wife and I are new to diving and will be traveling to Florida to visit with family next month (we live in New Mexico). I wanted to know if anyone knew of any easy to access (shore) locations where she and I could just play around a bit and get used to some of our new gear. Having been certified in New Mexico we haven't had any opportunity to set up our weight and bouyancy in saltwater. We are going to Cayman the following week and want a chance to get our act together before we go there. Thanks:)

Crystal River. A good dive op there is Bird's Underwater.

I dont think youll find shore diving due to low viz and marshy areas, but if your up for a charters, there plenty of artifical reefs from there down to clearwater. Just check with the local dive shop. Spring diving is hot in Weeki Watchee, Homasassa Springs, and Crystal River.

I'll put it to you this way, I live a few minutes north of Hudson, and when I want to check out new gear, I drive three hours to Blue Grotto. There is Hospital Hole somewhere near Crystal River I believe, but Blue Grotto and Devil's Den is your best bet.

If you want to do some dives in the Gulf of Mexico, then Narcosis Scuba in Tarpon Springs, only 20 minutes north of Hudson, goes out almost daily I believe. I believe they leave from the Sponge Docks in Tarpon Springs. It's a headboat. I'm actually going their tomorrow to pick up some tank fills, so I can get more info if that interests you.

is in the Weeki Watchee river, not a bad dive but there have been high coliform bacteria levels in the water there, I woulcn't recommend it till that clears up.
The hole is pretty large with some siphon tubes running to the surfabe, at about 70' there is a halocline and thick hydogen sulfide, below this layer it is quite dark, and the top of the mound is around 120'
(just going off memory...) been 5 years or so since i dove it.
The closing of Ward's sink was a bummer, it was a nice dive spot up that way too.
(there's lots of nice dives up that way, if you are a cave diver)
I wouldnt use a boat dive to set up trim,
I live in tampa and just go to the Causeway for that sort of thing, just find someplace with easy access to the water and not too much surf... If you dive from a boat and your trim sucks, especially for a new diver, would be a real pain to fix...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom